Job Description: Director of Events
Classification: Exempt from Overtime Pay
Reports To: Executive Director
Alexandria, VA or remote.
The AMI/USA Director of Events has an enthusiastic “can-do” attitude and assists AMI/USA in hosting
events that enhance AMI/USA’s image, improve member loyalty, and enhance our brand and customer experience. The Director of Events will be responsible for development programing including but not limited to: finding and contracting speakers, planning and managing the organization’s events calendar, negotiating agreements with exhibitors, sponsors and partners, and helping to develop and manage event budgets. The Director of Events will also work with our hotel liaison and hotel staff and AV teams for any on-site events. Finally, the Director of Events will work closely with the Director of Communications to ensure effective marketing of all events and programming. This role requires creativity, strong organizational skills, and vision as it plays a large part in amplifying the AMI/USA brand, as well as providing needed content and professional development for our members and the larger Montessori community in the United States.
· Brainstorming and implementing event plans and concepts;
· Collaborating with other Team members to develop programming and secure speakers;
· Conducting research and communicating with potential speakers regarding topics (particularly by monitoring member/community needs to ensure programming is relevant and supportive);
· Coordinating session logistics, including the implementation of hybrid events;
· Assisting with event budget development;
· Liaising and negotiating with exhibitors and potential sponsors;
· Updating the AMI/USA Executive Director;
· Assisting with event branding and communications;
· Developing event feedback surveys and post-event reports;
· Obtaining any needed permits;
· Other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
· Bachelor’s Degree, plus at least 5 years of experience;
In-depth knowledge of event planning and logistics;
· Proven track record in an identical or similar role for a comparable organization;
· Solid working knowledge of Google Workspace and/or Microsoft Office with demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Excel and/or Google Sheets;
· Solid working knowledge of Zoom for both meetings and events.
· Experience with FileMaker Pro or similar database application;
· Familiarity with Montessori philosophy and pedagogy.
Personal Skill Requirements:
· Self-directed and self-motivated with strong attention to detail;
· Ability to operate at both strategic and tactical levels with keen analytical and problem-solving skills;
· Process-oriented and efficient in creating and maintaining systems to create high quality work;
· Communicates effectively in both verbal and written form, and in presenting complex information;
· Exhibits a manner that is professional, ethical, respectful and graceful;
· Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment, be accountable, invite suggestions, ask for support when needed, and provide support to others, all with a dedication to overall organizational success;
· Strong understanding of and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and an interest in applying those principles in the workplace.
· Must be able to sit for long periods of time and utilize general office and computer equipment continually with regular and consistent use of keyboard and mouse;
· When at an on-site event, must be able to walk and stand for prolonged periods while overseeing programming and logistics;
· Visual acuity necessary to spend lengthy periods of time at the computer.
Work Schedule: Typical U.S. business hours with flexibility, and occasional evening/weekend work (for meetings and events). Occasional travel to potential conference venues and for in-person events will be required.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary range: $56,000 to $64,000 commensurate with experience;
Group Health, Dental and Vision Insurance;
Paid time off.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume and list of references to email@example.com
About Association Montessori International/USA (AMI/USA)
Association Montessori International of the United States (AMI/USA) is dedicated to bringing the principles of Dr. Maria Montessori to the education of children through its support and advancement of the AMI Montessori community in the United States.