Position Title: Coalition Coordinator Location: Los Angeles, partial remote work
Position Type: Full-time Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Start Date: September 2022
About GWC: Founded in 2001, the Garment Worker Center is a worker rights organization leading an anti-sweatshop movement to improve conditions for tens of thousands of Los Angeles garment workers. Through direct organizing, GWC develops leaders who demand enforcement of strong labor laws and accountability from factory owners, manufacturers, and fashion brands. We center immigrant workers, women of color, and their families who are impacted by exploitation in the fashion industry.
Position description: The GWC seeks a committed, experienced individual to support and strengthen GWC’s campaigns by building active relationships with allies to support our organizing efforts and expand our political power. Campaigns may include policy, targeted fashion brands, or factory-level needs. Must be fluent in English and Spanish.
- Build and maintain relationships with organizational allies (community organizations, faith groups, students, academics,and unions) for campaign related purposes.
- Collaborate closely with Industry Researcher and Strategist to strengthen alliances with local business owners and industry organizations, and strategize on engagement for campaign needs.
- This includes strategies to create long-term industry incentives that benefit both garment workers and ethical businesses, and promotes ethical job creation.
- Organize allies through 1-1s, roundtables, focus groups, and advocacy training to take action for garment workers’ demands for the local industry.
- Lead coalition meetings.
- Facilitate engagement between GWC and local, state, and federal labor agencies & legislators in relation to policy campaigns.
- Assist Communications Coordinator with messaging, press events, and other public speaking engagements, including coordinating with and prepping allies to speak publicly in support of our campaigns.
- Support the development of campaign materials, such as action alerts, factsheets, petitions, and letters.
- Represent GWC in our key allies’ coalition spaces.
- Support general membership meetings every 2-3 months.
Qualifications and Skills
- 2-3 years of relevant experience.
- Experience building alliances and endorsements for community campaigns.
- Experience in campaign development and assessment.
- Experience in policy campaigns, either city, county, state or federal level.
- Experience in facilitating group meetings with communities from different backgrounds and experience.
- Labor or community organizing experience at a grassroots level.
- Experience in the fashion industry, particularly working with or advocating for garment workers (ideal but not required).
- Strong commitment to social, racial, gender, and economic justice and their intersections.
- A desire to grow base-building organizations and build worker power.
- A desire to learn and experiment in a campaign setting.
- Fluency in English and Spanish – both spoken and written.
- Generous paid sick time, vacation, and holidays.
- Health and dental benefits.
- Retirement program, with employer matching.
- Send cover letter, resume, and references to Marissa Nuncio, Director, at email@example.com or https://tinyurl.com/idealist-GWC.
- Interviews will be conducted by a staff and worker member hiring committee.
THE GARMENT WORKER CENTER IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, RELIGION, COLOR, SEX, GENDER, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, OR AGE. ALL PERSONS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
About Garment Worker Center
Garment Worker Center is a worker rights organization leading an anti-sweatshop movement to improve conditions for tens of thousands of Los Angeles garment workers. Through direct organizing, GWC develops leaders who demand enforcement of strong labor laws and accountability from factory owners, manufacturers, and fashion brands. We center immigrant workers, women of color, and their families who are impacted by exploitation in the fashion industry.