River Network seeks an early career professional with an interest in communications and social media to join our dynamic Philanthropy & Communications team. This position begins with a research project investigating River Network communications practices from the lens of equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) and comparing to best practices in the space, culminating in a set of recommendations. Following this project, the primary role of this position is to help implement these findings, executing and improving our audience engagement efforts across social media and other channels, thereby allowing River Network to further spread its message and learning opportunities for greater reach and influence around efforts to advance clean water and healthy rivers for all, and attract new supporters. This position is designed to interact with River Network’s audience and members, serving their needs and interests as well as River Network’s communications goals.
The Communications Associate will work closely and collaborate with the Membership & Communications Manager, the Brand and Communications Director, the Philanthropy & Communications team, and other relevant staff members to execute River Network’s social media strategy annually. They will also be responsible for external aspects of audience communication and engagement as described in the Essential Functions below.
The ideal candidate has an interest in and aptitude for communications and social media, the ability to generate fresh ideas and novel solutions, a desire to support and frequently interact with River Network members and followers, a deep commitment to EDI, and an open and collaborative mindset that allows for thoughtful storytelling.
- Conduct a one-time inclusive communications analysis, researching best practices and analyzing current River Network strategies and tactics, and sharing findings with the network.
- Collaborate with Communications Director and Communications Manager to implement suggested changes and recommendations from inclusive communications analysis across specific communications channels further identified below.
- Execute and expand River Network’s social media presence, including graphic creation and follower engagement, helping turn followers into River Network members and supporters.
- Support membership recruitment and stewardship efforts as directed by Membership & Communications Manager, including campaigns, renewals, and other administration of membership benefits.
- Manage email audience database in Mailchimp, updating bounced emails and employing other list management best practices.
Explore and implement new audience engagement opportunities including welcome journeys, additional engagement campaigns, retargeting and others as identified in collaboration with other Philanthropy & Communications staff.
- Serve as primary moderator for River Network’s Online Community, hosted within Mobilize.
- Support the planning of River Network’s signature national conference, River Rally: Coordinate with the Membership & Communications Manager on social media promotion.
- Assist with some specialized communications.
- On-site communications and logistics support, as identified in the planning process.
- One or more years professional communications experience, including internships or hands-on volunteer positions with experience developing and implementing successful communications strategies and campaigns.
- Exceptional written communication skills, proven experience translating complex and technical concepts into compelling and clear messages for specific audiences.
- Detail-oriented, with proven experience managing multiple projects simultaneously, delivering assignments within stringent deadlines, and effective communication around shifting needs and/or priorities.
- Technologically savvy, with proficiency in communications tools (including most of the following: Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, TikTok, Hootsuite, Mailchimp, Canva), and MS Office programs (Word, Outlook, etc.).
- Willingness to travel when necessary to attend organizational events, including national River Rally conference, staff retreat, and other events as identified.
- Knowledge of and/or interest in following current and evolving trends in the nonprofit communications space.
- Commitment to values of mutual respect and collaboration, teamwork, and embracing and promoting diversity.
- Some topic knowledge of the environmental and water sectors is preferred, but not required.
- Some familiarity with digital accessibility is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with or willingness to learn Adobe Suite, WordPress, Salesforce, mail merge, and video editing skills are great to have, but not required.
- Training and/or professional development opportunities will be made available as needed.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every qualification. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with each qualification in the job description, please go ahead and apply anyway! You might be just the right candidate for this role. Consistent with our values and our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion as stated above, River Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
TO APPLY: Please prepare a resume and responses to the application questions and submit through this page by October 31, 2022. References, social media samples, and a short social media exercise (drafting three posts) will also be part of the selection process. No phone calls please. The successful applicant must also meet the requirements of River Network’s background screening process.
About River Network
River Network envisions a future of clean and ample water for people and nature, where local caretakers are well-equipped, effective and courageous champions for our rivers. River Network’s mission is to empower and unite people and communities to protect and restore rivers and other waters that sustain all life. Visit www.rivernetwork.org to learn more about our current priorities. Our headquarters are in Boulder, Colorado and we have staff located in communities across the U.S. We are committed to embracing diversity, equity and inclusion in all areas to achieve our mission – explore our core values and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, our explanation for why equity, diversity an inclusion are the foundation of our mission, and our principles for equitable and inclusive work. Through our programs, we seek to connect with all communities and increase the impact of their efforts to secure clean and ample water. Through our internal practices and external leadership, we seek an inclusive workplace culture that attracts diverse staff, board, members, and supporters.