Do you have a passion for helping government and education customers to implement innovative IT solutions? Do you have a knack for helping customers to build their understanding of new cloud platforms and application architectures, and the consultative and leadership skills to launch and ramp a cloud project on a trajectory to success?
Above all, do you want to lead a dynamic team of Solutions Architects bringing the latest in disruptive, cut-edge cloud computing and scientific technologies to bear on the difficult cost and agility problems facing educational and government customers? Do you want to be a key part of a growing, world-class business development and sales team helping to establish Amazon Web Services (AWS) as the leading cloud technology platform in education markets?
Amazon Web Services is looking for a highly motivated Solutions Architect Manager to manage a team of Education Solutions Architects (SAs) on the West coast, and to be a hands-on leader-by-example. You would help accelerate our growing Higher Education, K-12 and Education Technology (EdTech) business as part of the Worldwide Public Sector (WWPS) business development and sales team. This is an excellent opportunity to join AWS’s world class technical teams, working with some of the best and brightest engineers and technical managers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative and disruptive technology companies in the world today.
As the West Coast US Education Solution Architect Manager within AWS WWPS, you will have the opportunity to help shape and deliver on a strategy to build mind share and broad usage of AWS’s utility computing web services such as Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3), Amazon Relational Data Service, Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon Elastic MapReduce, and Amazon CloudFront within educational institutions and government organizations. Your responsibilities will include: supporting the Education business development and sales team while owning the technical engagements with customers and solution providers (systems integrators and ISVs), helping to define implementation architectures, responding to RFPs, standing up demonstration and proof-of-concept systems, and achieving ultimate success around specific technical projects. To achieve those goals—and building on your broad background and technical breadth and depth in security, networking, operating systems, and application architecture – you will have expertise in AWS technologies, and a deep understanding of how applications and services are best built and operated on the AWS platform. In addition, you will lead and mentor a team of highly talented SAs, helping them to set and surpass their own goals.
The ideal candidate will …
Be great fun to work with. Our company credo is “Work hard. Have fun. Make history”. As the right candidate, you will love what you do, and instinctively know how to make work fun. You will be dynamic and creative, and willing to take on any challenge.
Enjoy working with education customers and partners. You will have a passion for educating, training, designing, and building cloud computing systems for a diverse and challenging set of customers and partners.
Have a strong understanding of large scale cloud computing solutions. The ideal candidate will have past experience working in a technical management role in a sales organization with prior experience as an architect and systems or software engineer. You will enjoy keeping your existing technical skills and developing new ones, to the point that you can not only contribute to but lead deep architecture discussions around systems and applications in the cloud.
Have great management skills. You will help hire and lead a team of SAs, and must have great people management, mentoring, and hiring skills. You will assess the strengths of your team members, guide them in setting, achieving, and surpassing their goals, and help them to develop professionally to the next level of excellence. You will do all that while yourself maintaining an active personal engagement in the same kind of work at the same kind of high level that you expect from your team.
Basic Qualifications· Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering or related technical discipline
· 10 years of software design and development and/or IT and networking implementation/consulting experience in relevant markets
· 2 years of technical management experience, including a minimum of 1 year in a technical management role in a sales organization
· Minimum of 4 months cloud computing experience using publicly available services
Preferred QualificationsThe successful candidate will possess both technical and customer-facing skills that will allow them to be the technical “face” of AWS within our solution providers’ ecosystem/environment as well as directly to end customers. He or she will be able to drive discussions with senior technical and management personnel within customers and partners, as well as the technical background that enables him or her to interact with and give guidance to software developers, IT pros, and system architects. The ideal candidate will also have a demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges. Finally, and of critical importance, the candidate will be an excellent technical team manager, someone who knows how to hire, develop, and retain high quality technical talent.
· The right person will be highly technical and analytical, possess software design and development and/or IT and networking implementation/consulting experience in relevant markets.
· Strong verbal and written communications skills are a must, as well as the ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations. Executive speaking and presentation skills including formal presentations, white boarding, large and small group presentations.
· Experience working within the software development or Internet industries is highly desired.
· Working knowledge of software development and engineering practices as well as Internet/web and SOA/web services technologies highly desired.
· Management experience with small or mid-sized technical teams, and a positive and mentoring management style suitable for hiring and retaining the best talent. Experience hiring and managing a team of top-notch technologists.
· Web services development/deployment experience, IT systems and network engineering experience, security and compliance experience, software engineering experience, etc.
· Operational experience with website/web services as well as traditional IT operations, management, and security experience.
· Business understanding of cloud computing as a fundamentally disruptive technical and business strategy; market analysis; cost benefit analysis, RFP/Acquisition support; etc.
· Advisory/consulting experience with educational institutions, state and local governments.
For more information, please visit https://aws.amazon.com/education/
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.