Amazon opened its virtual doors in 1995 and strives to be the world’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online.
The North American Design and Construction team is looking for an experienced Construction Manager that will be a key part of the Operations team. This includes: responsibility for project managing new building planning, design and construction. This will include the extension of existing facilities and any new sites. The Construction Manager will play an integral role in the development and implementation of the North American facility network infrastructure. This role will analyze and evaluate different facility scenarios and build-out designs. In addition, this candidate has to support the standardization of the technical and facility related processes and systems.
This opportunity combines construction engineering, planning, project management, facilities management, and contract management. It requires a person who can show proven ability in the planning and design, and project management / control of new and the enhancement of existing facility buildings.
The role will include upwards of 60% travel to all North America locations.
· Overseeing construction engineering, planning, and design for FC’s and other new or expansion projects
· Responsible for project support on new fulfillment network buildings and additional capacity requirements within existing North America FCs
· Lead construction scope review and development with internal operational customers, and facilitate engineering and design efforts on new and remodel projects
· Prepare reports, specifications, technical analysis to fully define the design requirements, equipment and services required on capacity expansion and remodel projects
· Oversee and facilitate execution of ground up shell, TI, and engineering deployment for new facilities within the network
· Provide technical direction concerning engineering design / AutoCAD, building design, layouts, build details, schedules and materials in accordance to North American Customer Fulfillment (NACF) design parameters
· Survey facilities, develop and document procedures to audit the facility, provide evaluations and analysis, and recommend solutions to facility infrastructure, safety and security problems involving facilities and people
· Negotiate contracts with General Contractors and trade contractors and present formal documentation for approval when required
· Ensure that contracts are fit for purpose, cost effective and incorporate appropriate Service Level Agreements
· Provide overall site management, coordination, planning, specification of business proposals and coordination of subcontractors
· Facilitate and team with others on due diligence evaluation of new opportunities
· Facilitate and team with internal stakeholders regarding engineering buildouts, IT readiness, and turnover to operational groups
· Partner with teams tasked with transition of base building management and oversight of all turnover documentation
· Coach and guide all project teams (developers, design engineers, general contractors, sub-contractors, internal stakeholders) throughout the full project lifecycle
· Ensure that contracted resources deliver work to meet duration and quality targets, addressing and ensuring the correction of under-performance issues
· Audit contractors to check that the skills and competences of contract labor are appropriate to need and they are fit to undertake the work on which they will be deployed
· Inform contractors of projected changes in resource or work demand so that they can take appropriate action
· Establish and operate the information systems necessary for effective scheduling and recording of contract work
· Support contractors’ work and help them to achieve higher performance level
· Oversee multiple projects in various locations simultaneously
· Review of designs for conformance to current NACF specifications
· Provide critical review of current design standards to identify value engineering and design enhancement opportunities to be considered by internal engineering and schematic design partners
· Comprehensive budget tracking, forecasting, and management of assigned expansion, remodel, and new build projects
· Receipt, review, and analysis of all proposed cost and time change requests as presented by external project teams
· Review and guide internally requested changes for validity, impact, and ensure timely and cost sensitive incorporation once approved
· Lead and/or assist in negotiations with appropriate AHJ entities as required
· Positive, clear, concise, and transparent cross team communication for all aspects of project delivery
Basic Qualifications· Completed Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management or comparable field
· Experience operating within at least two disciplines within the construction industry, which could consist of General Contracting, Owner’s Representation, Commercial Development, or Engineering and Design, or similar
· 8+ years of experience as an Engineer, Senior Construction Manager, and other construction related disciplines
· Project management experience from due diligence and design phase through implementation and operation
· Experience negotiating construction, procurement and labor contracts
Preferred Qualifications· Master’s degree in Engineering or Construction Management
· Ability to effectively communicate Amazon requirements to various audiences (e.g. senior management, peers, public officials, vendors, etc.)
· Experience inclusive of Facilities Manager or similar
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.