Are you a “Dream it, Design it, Build it, Grow it, kind of engineer? Are you interested in building hyper-scale web and database services in the cloud? Do you want to have direct and immediate impact on hundreds of thousands of employees at Amazon? Are you a “Builder” that wants a help design, create and implement life-changing solutions for our employees?
Amazon Human Resources ACES (Amazon Customer Excellence System) team is building employee facing portals and web services that allow employees to make their work schedule more flexible. The scrappy, grass-roots project originated in a single fulfillment center relying on AWS Dynamo DB and needs an SDE to help take it to the next level and worldwide.
HR ACES is looking for experienced SDEs to design and build out our product offerings of associate flexibility options to allow associates worldwide to manage their schedule in a way that works best for them and Amazon – we seek to be the most flexible employer in the world, with scheduling options that accommodate every potential employee. The ideal candidate will draw upon advanced analytical, critical thinking, problem solving skills, software development experience, and a passion for creating maintainable, highly reliable, distributed systems which operate 24/7/365. You will work with analytic tools, design associate facing websites, interact with research scientists to create APIs into and out of their models, and build scalable AWS databases to store data. Successful members of this team collaborate effectively with internal end-users, cross-functional software development teams, and technical support/sustaining engineering teams to solve problems, implement new solutions, and deliver successfully against high operational standards of system availability and reliability. We look for candidates who are excellent communicators, self-motivated, flexible, hardworking, and who like to have fun.
The complexity of research and skills for a successful SDE is well beyond coding. It involves deep diving the scrappy systems we have in place, designing a better mouse trap, building that mouse trap and scaling it worldwide. It involves extensive knowledge of software applications to create tools, and understanding of multiple programming languages.
Come, join us in reinventing the employer and employee relationship at Amazon.
The following provides some detail of the job duties and responsibilities:
· Develop websites using (RUBY, HTML, PHP, Java, AJAX) which would allow users (Associates, Site HR/OP; ACES leaders) including the Ops and HR leadership teams the ability to make flexibility requests (associates), and see the reports and KPIs of the associate programs.
· Create and help maintain databases storing relevant system data with APIs into other Amazon databases
· Maintaining website and database up-time to include restarting of servers, etc.
· Root cause research into identifying process breakdowns within departments and providing data through use of various skill sets to find solutions to breakdowns
**This position is not a traditional “virtual” role, and will be physically based out of an existing field location as a home site, which can be Phoenix, AZ, Detroit, MI or Seattle, WA. This role is not limited to Phoenix, AZ.**
Basic Qualifications· BS in Computer Science or related field, or 5+ years of relevant work experience.
· 5+ years development experience in Shell, Java, Ruby, Python or other DevOps oriented language
· Knowledge of various software technologies, methodologies and applied software engineering practices/standards such as OOD, SOAP, REST, Spring and AJAX
Preferred Qualifications· Be highly innovative, flexible and self-directed
· Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
· Deep experience integrating software solutions, automating manual processes and/or building portals or internal tools
· Experience with UI development and building innovative user experiences.
· Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through launch and operations of the project
· Strong understanding of system and application performance characteristics
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age