Are you familiar with compiler and runtime internals? Maybe you have worked on garbage collection in managed runtimes such as HotSpot, the .NET CLR, V8, or Chakra. Maybe you have acquired your knowledge by tuning the performance of running services for performance and resilience. Whatever your path, the JDK team at Amazon, owners of Amazon Corretto, would love to talk with you. We are looking for engineers with experience in one or more of: compiler design, performance, language internals, or similar areas to help us shape the JDK we run at Amazon. We care about optimization for high scalability, availability, and efficiency, and also about going above and beyond to provide the best Java experience for our Amazon internal teams, Corretto users, and the OpenJDK community.
On our team, you will be working on enhancing and evolving OpenJDK. You will identify areas for improvement using data from real running services, develop patches to the OpenJDK compiler, runtime and garbage collector, and make them available for all Amazon developers to use. You will also be sharing your findings with the rest of the engineering community and contributing improvements back to OpenJDK.
Java is used for the majority of services in Amazon and nearly all public-facing AWS services. Because of this, we have a vested interest in running the best-possible JDK in areas like security and performance. In 2018, the AWS JDK team migrated Amazon’s default JDK to OpenJDK. In order to do this we built rigorous security and quality mechanisms around OpenJDK. We are now able to apply security and Amazon custom patches to the internal OpenJDK as soon as they’re available. We have also taken this knowledge and launched Amazon Corretto, Amazon’s distribution of OpenJDK. With Corretto, we can make our enhancements to OpenJDK available to our customers and the OpenJDK community at large.
Basic Qualifications· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· Knowledge of language, compiler and/or runtime internals. Java and JDK ideal, but other managed runtimes (such as .NET CLR) are valuable experiences.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience to a Bachelor’s degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1-year of education.
· 5+ years professional experience in software development
· Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, and performance analysis.
· Proficiency in, at least, two modern programming languages such as C, C++, C#, Java, Python, or Ruby.
Preferred Qualifications· Masters degree or higher in Computer Science or related field.
· Experience contributing to open source projects, preferably contributing to a runtime or widely used library.
· Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
· Practice of modern software engineering, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and releasing.
· Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide system operations.
· Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
· Experience mentoring junior software engineers and make them more effective.
· Experience influencing software engineers’ best practices in your organization.
· Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.