JOB TITLE: Accounting Manager
HOURS: 40 hrs./week, full-time
SUMMARY OF ORGANIZATION:
Since 1989, AccessHealth MA, formerly Community Research Initiative (CRI), has sponsored community-based research on HIV/AIDS and other infectious diseases. In addition to the research program, AccessHealth MA operates the Infectious Disease Drug Assistance Program (IDDAP) under contract with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the Boston Public Health Commission. This program, funded by both federal and state dollars, is one of the most comprehensive programs of its kind in the country, and provides access to HIV-related medications to under- or uninsured clients through the HIV Drug Assistance Program (HDAP). The Comprehensive Health Insurance Initiative (CHII) also provides health insurance for individuals with HIV/AIDS who are otherwise unable to access coverage. HDAP and CHII serve as key programs within the larger umbrella of IDDAP programs. Additional components include coverage of the costs of tuberculosis drugs (TB Drug Assistance Program); an HIV prevention program, the Pre-exposure Prophylaxis Drug Assistance Program (PrEPDAP); and the non-occupational Post-Exposure Program (nPEP), designed to prevent HIV transmission through timely access to medications following potential exposure to HIV.
The Accounting Manager position performs and oversees accounting and finance functions at this non-for-profit organization and includes responsibilities for managing a range of accounting, accounting oversight, human resources, contract negotiation, and facilities functions. Requires a person who is both tactical and strategic. The Accounting Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Accounting Department.
- 5+ years of General Ledger experience with similar responsibilities at a similar sized entity
- Prior experience with Sage 50
- Prior management experience and strong management skills
- Familiarity with nonprofit finance, accounting regulations and preferably Commonwealth of MA contract accounting, allocation, and billing
- Excellent judgment and creative critical thinking skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
- Ability to work independently and results- and outcome-oriented
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team player and leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administration initiatives
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of AccessHealth MA’s staff, Board members and stakeholders
- Passion for AccessHealth MA’s mission
- BS in Accounting or closely related degree and background
Reporting to the Executive Director and serving as a member of the Executive Leadership team, the Accounting Manager is responsible for the development of AccessHealth MA’s financial management strategy, the day-to-day operations of the Accounting Department, and supervision of the Staff Accountants (1.75 FTE) who process A/P, payroll and cash. In addition to these two staff members, AccessHealth MA utilizes Indigo Associates, an accounting consulting firm, currently for Accounting Manager and CFO services. This position will work closely with Indigo Associates consultants to ensure that all functions are taking place while the new Accounting Manager position completes orientation, training, and a period of transition. Indigo Associates will continue to have a role in high-level oversight functions and possibly other roles as our accounting department deliverables grow and evolve.
Regarding finance and accounting functions, the person in this position is responsible for maintaining the integrity of general ledgers, as well as the maintenance of records and procedures to adequately safeguard the assets of the organization. The person in this position will close the books on a monthly basis, perform monthly reporting and analysis; prepare all monthly and bi-monthly invoices to state agencies for services performed as well as other monthly billings including to pharmaceutical companies relating to clinical studies performed at AccessHealth MA. The position prepares all materials for an annual GAAP audit combined with a Uniform Guidance audit, as well as various grant related state and city financial audits. Position prepares all annual budget and related Budget/Actual/Variance analysis on a monthly basis; financial risk management including cash flow forecasting, liquidity, and insurances. Position creates all study budgets and budget amendments for AccessHealth MA-sponsored studies or oversees a P/T project manager who does.
As a member of the Executive Leadership Team, the Accounting Manager participates in strategic planning, oversees cost containment efforts; and engages with the Executive Director and other Team members in driving revenue maximization efforts. This is an outstanding opportunity for an accounting professional with a proven track record with excellent accounting and analytical skills, creative problem-solving, and change-management skills to join in a fast-paced, mission-based organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budget process
- Close books on a monthly basis, perform monthly reporting and analysis
- Prepare all monthly and bi-monthly invoices to state agencies for services performed and other monthly billings
- Prepare all materials for an annual GAAP audit combined with a Uniform Guidance audit, as well as various grant related state and city financial audits
- Prepares all annual budget and related Budget/Actual/ Variance analyses on a monthly basis
- Completes financial risk management including cash flow forecasting, liquidity, and review of insurances to ensure appropriate coverage
- Provide analytical support to AccessHealth MA’s internal management team including development of internal management reporting capabilities
- Perform and provide oversight and continuous improvement of accounting services such as management of all accounts, 403(b) plan, grants payment processing, clinical trial projection and billing systems, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing
- Work closely and serve as liaison with Professional Employment Organization (PEO) partner and perform actions re: improving personnel policies, related AccessHealth MA benefits, and other policies affecting AccessHealth MA staff. Act as contact to staff for new employees regarding benefits and onboarding information, personnel policies and system requirements for new hires, staff changes and terminations for staff. Assist Executive and Deputy Executive Director with other aspects of human resource activities as needed
- Advise the Executive Director and other key members of the Team on financial reporting and planning, budgeting, contract budgeting and related contract allocation and cash flow
- Serve as the management liaison to the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors; effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at Finance Committee and select Board of Directors meetings
- Contribute to the development of AccessHealth MA’s strategic goals and how to attain them as well as the overall management of the organization
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the Executive Director informed of all critical issues
- Represent the organization externally, as necessary, particularly in banking and lease negotiations
- Oversee and direct the work of the Staff Accountants whose roles are to complete payroll, Accounts Payable and oversee cash management
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development
Salary commensurate with experience. Compensation package includes salary, health care coverage (dental and vision also available), disability and life insurance. Generous paid vacation benefits and some professional development opportunities.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter outlining your experience and interest to Julie Marston firstname.lastname@example.org.
AccessHealth MA leads the fight against HIV and other infectious diseases. A unique, public health nonprofit, we provide access and support across treatment, prevention, research, and education – all to make Massachusetts a healthier, more equitable place for every resident of the Commonwealth.
AccessHealth MA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: AccessHealth MA is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other class protected by federal or state law (EEO/AA).
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About AccessHealth MA
AccessHealth MA leads the fight against HIV and other infectious diseases. A unique, public health nonprofit, we provide access and support through drug assistance, insurance support, prevention, and research—all to make Massachusetts a healthier, more equitable place for every resident of the Commonwealth.
Integrating drug assistance, insurance navigation, prevention, and research, we offer a holistic, client-centered approach that advances social justice and equity in healthcare. Our goal is to diminish infectious diseases in Massachusetts, including HIV and tuberculosis.
We provide access to life-changing medications and health insurance coverage for Massachusetts residents in need who are living with HIV, at risk for HIV, have tuberculosis, or who have other infectious diseases. AccessHealth MA also conducts life-changing clinical research and has contributed critical research data that resulted in the FDA approval of nearly all the currently available HIV medications.
With a committed, compassionate staff, and more than 30 years of experience innovating in healthcare, we have a meaningful impact on your, and your clients’, quality of life.
We are here for those in need.
AccessHealth MA can help you and your clients with:
Drug assistance: We help pay for medication, health insurance premiums and co-payments, testing, and other treatment costs
Insurance support: We provide both financial support and hands-on guidance for individuals, case managers, and providers to get, keep, and navigate health insurance
Prevention: We help people access PrEP or nPEP medications to reduce their risk of contracting HIV
Research: We run clinical trials that play a crucial role in accelerating the discovery of safer, simpler, and more effective HIV and other infectious disease treatments
AccessHealth MA is proud to play a key role in the fight to end the HIV epidemic in Massachusetts and the United States. We closely align our efforts and focus with statewide and national HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment strategies.
AccessHealth MA is a mission-driven, non-profit public health organization. Our values aim to support social justice, racial equity, inclusion, diversity and public health efforts. AccessHealth MA staff share a growth mindset and are committed to doing a better job of fighting structural racism and racial injustice within our organization, for the communities we serve, and in our lives. We support BIPOC, HIV and LBGTQ+ communities and are actively seeking to be better allies to individuals who are part of those communities, by creating equitable access to resources and services. One of the ways we are assessing and addressing our organizational impact on racial equity is by engaging with All Aces, Inc., a DEI Transformation company with self-learning courses and instructor guided workshops. All Aces' transformation framework has yielded many benefits for companies engaged in DEI work across various industries. At AccessHealth MA this work is driven by the leadership of our DEI Task Force. AccessHealth MA supports and stands with Black Lives Matter and recognizes Juneteenth and MLK Day as important holidays. We believe individuals and communities most impacted by HIV and other infectious diseases should lead this work. We highly encourage BIPOC, trans and gender diverse, queer, HIV positive, TB survivors, those in recovery, those with prevention experience, people with disabilities, people with sex work experience, and those with lived experience to apply.