We’re looking for an Advertising Technology Director to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business in our Advertising Practice Area.
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
Work that is meaningful. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- We run advertising campaigns that create change for our clients. Great big ones you read about in the news and tiny ones you’ve never heard of that are saving lives. Lots of politically progressive groups – Planned Parenthood, League of Conservation Voters, PETA. Environmental groups such as NRDC and Oceana, and cultural organizations we love, like Sesame Workshop.
- Day-to-day, we’re raising revenue, acquiring new donors and supporters, winning campaigns and elections, and improving brand and issue recognition.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Understand the evolving technology landscape and the needs of our non-profit clients, and use that knowledge to inform M+R’s ad technology decisions and recommendations, and to roll out new technologies that meet the needs of M+R and our clients. This could potentially include ad tech decisions and information like:
- evaluating the benefits of building an ad server,
- rating potential DSP partners,
- recommending viewability partners to our clients,
- and coming up with a plan for how to best deal with post-cookie tracking.
- Build and maintain data integrations across multiple platforms, especially Campaign Manager, Tag Manager, Google Analytics, and client CRMs, and suggest improvements and best practices to how we implement and optimize our ads.
- Implement new advertiser setups from scratch, evaluate current set up for opportunities for improvement, and troubleshoot issues.
- Build and maintain our internal data tools via Datorama.
- Teach and train staff on how to maintain and troubleshoot our ad technology and platforms and translate complex tech into client-friendly explanations.
- Shape strategy for M+R’s ad tech needs and over time build out a team to support this work.
- Assign and review junior staff projects- providing feedback, coaching, and guidance at every step.
- Be a visible and vocal presence by actively contributing to our organizational culture and building inclusive spaces within your teams and across M+R.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 10 years of experience in digital marketing, including 5 years of experience evaluating and leading the implementation of ad tech solutions.
- Demonstrated experience evaluating new technologies, making recommendations, and getting buy-in and leading the adoption of ad tech solutions.
- Deep understanding of the Ad technology landscape and the evolution of user privacy and security updates. Ability to advocate for solutions that are to the benefit of both advertisers and users.
- A commitment to ethical data use, transparent data management, and audience building that reflect M+R’s own values.
- Experience giving guidance or producing trainings to share knowledge with less technical staff.
- Assessing programs and problem solving with technology.
- Experience with the following technologies:
- Ad Serving and Reporting Platforms (Campaign Manager and Floodlight)
- Tag and Pixel Management Platforms (Google Tag Manager)
- Web Analytics Platforms (Google Analytics 360)
- Self-serve advertising platforms (Facebook, Google AdWords)
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Acute attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize your time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Strong ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills on the job, including learning new technologies.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Capability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into smaller pieces.
- Ability to see a problem and propose a solution.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Understanding of how your words and actions affect others.
- Kindness and consideration for others.
- Experience bringing a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions with colleagues.
- Passion for the role that your work plays in creating change in the world.
- Drive to work collaboratively – soliciting ideas, seeing each other’s perspectives, and always doing what you say you will do.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that seeking and receiving feedback is part of the learning process.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Experience with identifying ad tech solutions for non-profit organizations
Experience with CRMs (Salesforce, Luminate, EveryAction)
- Experience launching advertising programs from scratch
- Familiarity with DSPs (Verizon, DV360, Zeta, etc)
- Familiarity with Data visualization tools (Tableau and Datorama)
Salary, benefits, and some perks:
This is an exempt position. The salary is $109,000 with eligibility for an approximate $15,300 year-end bonus depending on start date and firmwide performance. We also offer a generous benefits package, plus some perks:
- Three week’s vacation as well as paid sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with quarterly employer contributions and an employer match;
- Professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit;
- Regular brainstorms where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of benefits depending on which office you’re in (once we’re back open!).
- Free lunch once a week. Snack breaks. Cold brew coffee on tap. Records and record players.
- While our physical offices are closed, we offer reimbursements for cell phones and internet, plus a small monthly working from home stipend to make your work-at-home life a bit more comfortable.
The fine print:
Due to COVID, our offices are closed through at least June 2021. Our primary concern is the care and health of our employees. We are closely monitoring the situation and have yet to determine when our offices will reopen. This position is not a permanent remote role and under normal circumstances, is located in any one of the following offices full-time:
1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
11 Park Place, New York, NY
262 Washington St, Boston, MA
1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
1275 East 6th St, Los Angeles, CA
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are communicators, marketers, fundraisers, and campaigners who unleash the power of people to do good. We work exclusively with nonprofits fighting for a just and sustainable world.