Americans United for Separation of Church and State seeks a Director of Direct Response Marketing who reports directly to the Chief Development Officer and will oversee and administer all aspects of Americans United’s (AU) direct marketing, digital fundraising, online fundraising, and monthly giving programs as well as membership database management to meet aggressive revenue projections.
The Director of Direct Response Marketing is responsible for the planning and execution, assessment and refinement of all direct response fundraising campaigns and channels, including collaboration with internal stakeholders and vendor partners. This position will lead the development of optimal strategies and tactics designed to increase revenue, grow the donor base, increase donor participation, and strengthen the pipeline of mid-level and major gift donors.
- Manage the continued expansion of the direct marketing program, implementing systems and processes to build and diversify individual giving to achieve or exceed revenue targets;
- Develop yearly direct marketing campaign calendar in conjunction with development team and consultants;
- Serve as the day-to-day liaison with the consultants and other AU staff members involved in the direct mail and telemarketing program, including the monthly giving and mid-level giving programs;
- Initiate data-driven strategies to increase file health KPIs with particular attention to maintaining above industry standard donor retention;
- Shepherd direct mail packages through the production process including coordinating edits with the Chief Development Officer and appropriate AU staff members, approving copy and artwork, working with consultants to determine appropriate segmentation, and testing strategy and working with the Development Operations Manager to provide files for production;
- In consultation with list management broker and agency of record, optimize acquisition program to bring on new donors with a focus on diversifying AU’s donor base and reactivating lapsed donors. Closely track investment levels to ensure an acceptable ROI and file growth year over year.
- Drive the strategy for expanding AU’s fundraising program through online/email and digital fundraising efforts.
- Administer the planning, creation, implementation, maintenance and analysis of online donation capabilities, data, and efforts;
- Coordinate with Communications team and other staff to plan and implement cross-departmental online giving projects and opportunities using social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram;
- Manage the Development Operations Manager;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree, CFRE designation a plus.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of substantive fundraising experience with a track record of outstanding performance and proven success in direct response fundraising positions;
- Hands-on experience with database management, management of direct mail programs, online fundraising experience;
- Polished communication abilities including listening and written communication;
- Excellent organizational and people skills, including supervisory experience.
- Work experience with an advocacy organization, while not required, would be very useful.
- Equal parts smart, savvy, and fun to work with. Culture and performance both matter;
- Tact and diplomacy in building strong working relationships with colleagues, volunteers, and donors;
- Capacity to manage multiple tasks and negotiate several priorities simultaneously;
- Advocate for church-state separation issues with a worldview that aligns with AU’s mission.
About Americans United for Separation of Church and State
Americans United for Separation of Church and State is a nonpartisan educational and advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the constitutional principle of church-state separation as the only way to ensure freedom of religion, including the right to believe or not believe, for all Americans.
Founded in 1947, Americans United is a diverse and dynamic organization composed of people from all walks of life: lawyers and lobbyists, students and activists, religious leaders, and impassioned Americans. Americans United includes people of faith and people who don’t profess any faith. It is a community that includes and welcomes people of all genders, races, ethnicities, religions or beliefs, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, classes, and abilities. Because we work on a wide variety of issues with many different communities, we value what diversity and diverse perspectives bring to our work.
Americans United uses high-impact litigation, powerful lobbying, and grassroots advocacy to ensure that:
- Religion does not dictate public policy.
- The government does not tell Americans what to believe or how to practice their faith.
- Discrimination is not justified under the guise of religious beliefs.
Through a strong, diverse national supporter network, both on the ground and online, AU defends the separation of church and state and protects religious freedom for all in communities across the country.
Americans United has over tens of thousands of members, with a national network of independent state affiliates. It is a 501(c) (3) organization. Americans United is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
Competitive Annual Salary: $100,000–$120,000 depending on experience.
Generous Benefits: Americans United offers a comprehensive benefit package including employer paid premiums for health care, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, and a 401(k) with match and commuter subsidy.
Work Location: Americans United employees have been working remotely since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic and will continue working remotely until fall 2023 as we discern our longer-term plan for remote and in-office work. Attendance at the in-person board meetings, Summit for Religious Freedom, legal academy bootcamp, and other occasional in-person meetings and events at AU headquarters in Washington, DC, is required.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: Americans United has made the safety of our staff and our surrounding community a top priority. As part of that commitment, we have implemented a mandatory Covid-19 vaccination policy. This policy states that all Americans United employees, fellows, and interns are required to be vaccinated against Covid-19 and to have received a bivalent booster shot. If a candidate selected for hire desires a medical or religious exemption, the candidate should make a request to our human resources personnel, and the request will be considered in accordance with applicable law.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful, relevant cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. AU is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.