Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts seeks an experienced, detail-oriented, and collaborative Operations Director to elevate the daily and long-term operations of the organization’s two-building campus to the next level of excellence. As a key member of the leadership team and reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Operations Director serves as the organization’s administrative leader, overseeing and coordinating operations, financial management, business and strategy planning, facilities, IT and security infrastructure, and human resources and organizational culture. The Operations Director acts as the primary finance and accounting leader and works closely with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors’ Treasurer and Finance Committee to ensure strong financial oversight and compliance for the organization’s long-term fiscal health. In addition, the Operations Director supervises a full-time Building and Safety Manager and a full-time Administrator, and works closely with an external contracted human resources firm to provide consistent support, care, and development of Bemis’s dedicated employees.
Bemis Center is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We recognize opportunities in creative industries have historically excluded and continue to disproportionately exclude Black and Indigenous people, people of color, people from working-class backgrounds, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ people. We strongly encourage individuals with these identities to apply. Ideal candidates share this commitment and our values of creativity, trust, courage, diversity, acceptance, and the open exchange of ideas and worldviews. This is an opportunity to join an energetic and collegial staff at one of Omaha’s most unique arts organizations.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
– Partner with the Executive Director on strategic and operational issues; make recommendations based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification, and allocation of revenue/expense analysis.
– Provide leadership and expertise in the ongoing strategic planning process; collaborate with the leadership team to advance Bemis’s strategic vision and goals in areas of programming, development, and operations
– Manage and actively participate in the organization’s current facility master planning project with the Executive Director and dedicated members of the volunteer Task Force consisting of current and former Board members with expertise in construction, engineering, and building management
– Manage long-term budgetary planning and cost management
– Partner with the Development Director to align revenue goals and financial reporting and management with the organization’s short and long-term goals
– Work closely with the Executive Director and the Board’s Finance Committee and participate in Executive Committee and Board meetings; ensure alignment with and understanding of best practices of nonprofit fiscal policies, procedures, and compliance
– Manage all weekly accounting procedures, including payables, profit and loss statements, and balance sheets, and produce monthly financial reports for review and consideration by the Board’s Finance Committee and Executive Director; Ensure all accounting procedures and financial records are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
– Oversee organizational cash flow and forecasting
– Lead organization-wide annual budgeting process and oversee implementation of budgets
– Communicate finances through reports, dashboards, analytics, and metrics to Board Treasurer, Finance Committee, and Board of Directors, regularly keeping the staff and Board apprised of Bemis’s financial status
– Serve as primary point of contact and work cooperatively with external accounting firm on annual Financial Reviews and Audits
– Stay abreast of new regulations and trends, ensuring best practices in nonprofit financial management
– As part of the leadership team, drive strategic and tactical planning efforts that strengthen the organization’s human and physical infrastructure to ensure professional satisfaction, development, and long-term sustainability
– Assist in the preparation for and execution of major capital projects, renovations, and building repairs/maintenance
– Ensure the functional efficiency, integrity, and security of the organization’s two buildings, including its security systems, building maintenance, and IT infrastructure
– Oversee and manage all technology needs across the organization to increase organizational efficiency, improve information accessibility, and ensure data security
– Supervise the Building and Safety Manager and oversee in-house maintenance, service contracts, independent contractors, and annual preventive maintenance
– Supervise and work closely with a full-time Administrator to ensure daily operations of the organization run professionally and efficiently
– Working closely with the Executive Director and serving as the key staff liaison to an external human resources firm, oversee human resources management, including recruiting and retention, compensation and benefits, payroll and workers comp, and employee relations, training, and professional development
– Promote a culture of respect that rewards collaboration, learning, accountability, and initiative
– Ensure compliance with all reporting regulations, including tax reporting and benefit renewals, and adherence to all organizational personnel policies and updates to employee handbook as needed
– Coordinate the organization-wide performance review process for all employees annually
– Exceptional interpersonal, leadership, supervisory, and organizational skills
– Ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities simultaneously and navigate complex situations, helping to resolve ambiguity
– Outstanding verbal communication skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization, including Board Members, strategic partners, vendors, and the public
– Creative and strategic thinker with the capacity to take initiative and to work independently and as a team player in a fun, yet demanding arts organization
– Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) and accounting software. Proficiency in Quickbooks and eTapestry is a plus.
– Ability to have a flexible work schedule, including occasional evenings and weekends
– Minimum 5 years experience as an Operations or Accounting professional, preferably in an arts organization or other nonprofit organization
– Bachelor’s degree in business/museum management, accounting, or a related field
– A successful reference check
The starting salary range for this position is $65,000–$70,000. Hard and soft benefits provided include the following:
– 100% employer paid $15,000 life and accidental death/dismemberment insurance
– 50% employer paid health and dental insurance
– Accrued PTO and “Flex” time
– 12 paid holidays including a floating holiday and a paid two week year-end winter break
– Flexible working schedule and ability to work from home on occasion
– Pet-friendly office environment
– Access and use (when available) of Bemis’s facilities, including tools, equipment, and fabrication spaces
– Memberships + discounts with partner organizations
– Fun team building and bonding activities
– Exposure to a constant influx of diverse artists, ideas, and forms of creative expression
– Work directly with art + artists, helping them realize their vision and goals
For immediate consideration, please submit a one-page cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Operations Director” in the subject line.
Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
About Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts
Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts facilitates the creation, presentation, and understanding of contemporary art through an international residency program, exhibitions, and educational programs.
Our vision is to inspire an open and diverse dialogue on the critical issues that give shape and meaning to the human condition.
As an artist-centric nonprofit, we honor and respect the critical role artists play in our society. We value creativity, trust, courage, diversity, acceptance, and the open exchange of ideas and worldviews.