Community Action Program Legal Services, Inc. (CAPLAW), a Boston-based nonprofit organization providing legal assistance to anti-poverty Community Action Agencies (CAAs) nationwide, seeks a full-time Staff Attorney.
CAPLAW’s mission is to eliminate poverty by strengthening the legal and management capacity of community organizations. CAPLAW is the national legal expert for the Community Action network. Through consultations, training and resources we equip approximately 1,000 CAAs across the country with the knowledge and tools to operate as accountable and effective change agents. We also provide guidance to federal, state, and national Community Action partners on legal and financial issues affecting CAAs. We envision a dynamic national network of community organizations that empower individuals to overcome the effects of poverty and thrive.
ABOUT COMMUNITY ACTION AGENCIES
For over 50 years, since the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964 established the Community Action network, CAAs have been working to strengthen communities and help individuals and families with low-incomes achieve economic security. Nationwide, approximately 1,000 nonprofit and public CAAs funded under the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) Act provide a multitude of services such as job training, adult and youth educational programs, Head Start, energy assistance, nutrition and food programs, housing, economic development, and transportation.
We seek an attorney who is committed to public service and excited about the opportunity to advise, train, and equip leaders of community-based, nonprofit and public organizations across the country on their legal, financial, and governance responsibilities. The Staff Attorney will join a small team of attorneys who handle individual legal consultations from CAAs, develop and write resources on a variety of legal issues for the Community Action network, and present training workshops to CAAs at state, regional, and national conferences. The candidate will be intellectually curious, have a strong entrepreneurial spirit, and can quickly pivot from project to project.
CAPLAW seeks a Staff Attorney who will:
- Advise CAAs and other stakeholders in the Community Action network on a wide range of legal and financial matters that impact the organizations’ day-to-day operations, such as: federal grant law (including CSBG, Head Start, and other poverty alleviation programs); Internal Revenue Code requirements for tax-exempt organizations; nonprofit corporate law, compliance, and corporate governance matters, including board engagement and responsibilities; employment law; innovative approaches to organizational sustainability, such as fiscal sponsorships, mergers, shared services, and social enterprise; and administrative law.
- Help the Community Action network stay abreast of new and current legal requirements by researching, writing, and editing legal publications, such as legal updates, template policies and documents, case studies, tip sheets, checklists, toolkits, and website content.
- Prepare, coordinate, and present training seminars on legal issues for staff and board members of Community Action network organizations, including through instructional videos, webinars, and at CAPLAW’s annual conference and other training workshops conducted throughout the country.
- Advocate on policy priorities affecting the Community Action network, including commenting on proposed legislation and regulations.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant federal and state laws that may impact the operations of CAAs.
- Perform other related duties, as required.
- Report to CAPLAW’s Deputy Director/Senior Counsel.
- J.D. and license to practice law in at least one U.S. state.
- Experience in at least one or more of the following practice areas is strongly preferred: tax-exempt organization law, corporate law and governance, employment law, administrative law, federal grant management, and/or nonprofit management.
- Excellent legal research, writing, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively translate legal concepts into lay terms (oral and written).
- Ability to drive a project to completion in collaboration with colleagues and other national Community Action partners.
- Proven capability to take initiative, handle a variety of tasks, set priorities, and manage multiple deadlines.
- Ability to approach legal problems with creativity and strategic thinking.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team.
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional judgment.
- Exceptional work ethic and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated commitment to public service and the mission of Community Action.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position will be primarily remote. Currently, all staff work in person one day per week at CAPLAW’s office, located in downtown Boston near South Station. Periodic travel to out-of-state conferences is required.
The ability to work in front of a computer screen for extended periods of time is an essential aspect of this position. There may be periodic need to lift and/or move materials and equipment. COVID-19 vaccination required. Reasonable accommodation will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. This position is eligible for a robust benefits package, including:
- Generous holiday and paid time off (PTO), including all recognized federal holidays, one floating holiday, and the week between Christmas Day and New Years’ Day.
- Employer-subsidized health and dental insurance.
- Employer-paid Life, Long- and Short-Term Disability Insurance.
- Generous employer 401(k) matching contribution (after the first year of employment).
CAPLAW strives to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our vision and values are reflected in all our employment decisions, including hiring practices. CAPLAW actively encourages people with diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample at https://caplaw.org/application-form-nonprofit-staff-attorney.