At Brooklyn Data Company, we’re crafting a place where data people love to work. We are thoughtful leaders working towards meaningful, sustainable growth as individuals, as an organization, and as analytics partners with our clients.
What we’re looking for
Whether you’ve had a role like data engineer, data warehouse engineer, or data consultant, we’re seeking folks with mid- to senior-level experience thinking critically about how data can be transformed to best support and inform organizational needs and culture.
We’d love to hear from you if…
…You’re the kind of person who
Values diverse, inclusive teams and creating an environment where people of all identities, experiences, and backgrounds can thrive
Embraces an environment where you’ll be exposed to a variety of companies, business challenges, and tools / software
Thrives or would thrive in a remote-first, distributed work environment
Appreciates thinking about the “why” in addition to the “how”
Can communicate with clarity in English, both verbally and in writing
…You’ve done some of these things
Worked with cloud data warehouses such as Snowflake or BigQuery
Set up or run infrastructure needed to orchestrate data pipelines
Read and written code in an object-oriented programming language
Used SQL to write complex queries that join data across multiple systems
Used distributed source control such as Git proficiently
Worked collaboratively with cross-functional teams and stakeholders to achieve a goal
Worked in an agile environment
Worked in a consulting, SaaS, or e-commerce company
Provided technical mentorship
Things you might do at Brooklyn Data
Write a package, macro, or script that solves an ELT challenge common to our clients
Advise a client on the pros and cons of one data warehouse platform over another
Configure and manage a data warehouse or data ingestion tools
Analyze a client’s application database for data quality issues
Build tables in SQL using dbt
Troubleshoot ELT problems
Review a teammate’s code for accuracy, DRYness, and style
Advise on data approaches that balance outcomes, security, and performance
What it’s like working at Brooklyn Data
We’re at an important time in our company’s history: the beginning. That means we don’t have things perfect yet, but we’re enthusiastically crafting a culture that’s inclusive, career-minded, and action-oriented from the start. We welcome feedback and input on everything from hiring to onboarding to project management practices. We hold each other to practicing our company values, to finding ways to strengthen the areas we each need to grow in, and to finding ways to take care of each other throughout.
You can expect to hone your technical skills and business acumen with opportunities on a variety of client engagements, by making open-source contributions to the data community, and by contributing to our pro-bono efforts. You’ll learn to sharpen your focus on useful, small iterations of work and to speak up when you need help planning and prioritizing. You’ll be able to share the things you’re really good at, learn from each of your coworkers, and make space for all the great things you love doing outside of work, too.
What to expect from the screening process
1. Kick-start questions – Your answers to the application questions will help us understand how your experience and interests map to what we need to grow the team. Note that as part of our blind review process, we don’t review resumes at the application stage. Your application answers carry all the weight at this point in our screening process.
2. Phone screen – You’ll speak to a manager about your background and interests and get a chance to learn more about Brooklyn Data.
3. Work on problems that reflect the job – You’ll submit your responses to a set of exercises designed to reflect the technical and communication skills you’ll need on the job. We hope it both gives us a sense of your skills and you a sense of day-to-day work at Brooklyn Data. We’ll pay you a stipend for your time so that the time (about 4 hours worth) doesn’t create an unfair barrier for any applicants.
4. Chat with your potential future co-workers over Zoom – You’ll chat for about an hour with a few of the people you’ll be working with. We’ll share our key questions in advance, because we want to level the introvert / extrovert playing ground, to have you as much at ease as possible, and to make the best possible use of our time together. You’ll also have some time to ask questions of the team.
5. Chat with Scott – Meet our friendly founder!
6. References – We’ll ask to speak to two or three people who can speak to your work.
7. Our decision – If you’re selected, we’ll make an offer and open the avenues for communication with our team members to support you in making your decision. If you’re not selected in the current round, we promise to give you some context as to why not, if you’d find that useful. Keep in mind that we’re growing, and we expect there to be many future opportunities!
Compensation $95,000 US Based Team Members
100% premium-covered healthcare + dental + vision coverage for you (and partner or family)
401(k) with 3% company contribution
Life, AD&D, and long-term disability insurance
Paid parental leave (12 weeks birthing parent, 6 weeks non-birthing parent)
18 days paid time off, holidays (including a week off in December), and 2 floating holidays
Equipment and office setup allowance
We are open to hiring new team members who can overlap at least four hours with US Eastern time zone. Non-US-based team members are hired as full-time contractors and receive a salary adjusted for cost of living in their location. In addition, they receive a health insurance allowance, an accounting allowance, and additional compensation in lieu of health coverage, 401(k), and insurance. All team members are eligible for parental leave, paid time off, holidays, and equipment allowance.
About Brooklyn Data Co.
Brooklyn Data provides the technical skills, experience, and leadership to deliver best-in-class data capabilities. That means we act as an extension of your organization–collaborating in real-time with your data team and stakeholders, flexing to provide support in the areas you need most.