Earthworks is searching for a Communications Manager to support our growing Mining Program. The Mining Communications Manager will oversee and manage owned and earned media content and outreach. This role requires the ability to collaborate effectively with all staff and functions within the organization. An ideal candidate for this position will have five to ten years of experience in Communications. Supervisory experience is strongly preferred. This position reports to the Communications Director.
- Lead and implement Earthworks’ mining program communications;
- Create communications plans, messaging and branding strategies that support the team’s strategic priorities;
- Distill complex issues into more broadly consumable content;
- Develop and execute communications plans — with pertinent comms and mining team staff — for major program initiatives/releases/launches; including drafting & pitching Op-Eds, press releases and developing online content;
- Identify, maintain, build and track relationships with key reporters, outlets, and media allies;
- Ensure that our website and EARTHblog materials reflect and emphasize our priorities and messaging, and seek out opportunities for cross-posting on partner sites and other media platforms;
- Work with program staff, develop social media content/threads and select mining program social media issues/articles for digital organizers to post
- Maintain updated comms databases and files;
- Support and supervise comms staff members, including hiring;
- Recruit and supervise consultants, designers, external experts for comms campaigns and needs;
- Support mining program staff and allies with training, talking points and media prep;
- Share organizational responsibilities to maintain a healthy and equitable workplace
Earthworks is a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting communities and the environment from the adverse impacts of mineral and energy development while promoting sustainable solutions. Earthworks stands for clean air, water, and land, healthy communities, and corporate accountability. We work for solutions that protect both the Earth’s resources and our communities. Earthworks has a primarily-remote staff of over 45 employees in over 20 states and DC.
Earthworks is committed to challenging and dismantling systemic oppression. Earthworks Board and staff understand that promoting diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) both within and beyond Earthworks is critical to carrying out our mission to protect communities and the environment from the adverse impacts of resource extraction. We understand that our commitment to DEI means a dedication to constant learning and improvement.
Earthworks welcomes applications from diverse candidates and is an equal-opportunity employer. Earthworks evaluates employees and applicants for employment on merit, competence, and qualifications and does not tolerate discrimination.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Earthworks we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- 5-10 years of professional communications experience, preferably in a non-profit, advocacy, or social justice organization;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment where teamwork, collegiality, and self-motivation are necessary for success;
- Strong project management skills, coupled with sharp attention to detail, and a demonstrated ability to effectively manage competing priorities;
- Multicultural competence and a commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, especially ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds;
- Proven ability to follow up with colleagues to ensure tasks are completed in a timely fashion, and to communicate decisions with team members;
- Excellent solution-oriented skills with an ability to respond to changing priorities.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- Experience conducting communications trainings and support for staff, community members, and allied organizations;
- Experience with developing communications strategy and plans;
- Experience with staff supervision and comfort with mentorship and supervision of comms staff;
- Comfort and/or experience with recruiting and working with consultants, designers, external experts for comms campaigns and needs;
- Experience with media relations and/or digital comms;
- Experience working in a remote environment for a fully virtual organization;
- Openness to ongoing learning and coaching from colleagues at every level;
- Ability to think strategically and creatively.
Location, Travel, and COVID-19
Location for this position is remote in the United States. Some travel will be required when air travel and in-person meetings can safely resume as public health conditions permit. Earthworks COVID-19 policies prioritize the health and safety of our employees and the need to minimize the public health threat from COVID-19.
Earthworks requires all those hired to provide proof of full vaccination (vaccination and booster) against COVID-19. New hires who have disabilities that make the vaccine medically inadvisable or those who have a sincere religious belief that the vaccine is impermissible may request an accommodation by contacting Lezlie Griffin, Director of Talent and Equity, at email@example.com. Accommodation will be provided only as required by applicable law.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $67,000 – $75,000 annually, depending on experience. Earthworks provides full-time staff with a competitive package of benefits, including employer-paid medical, vision, dental, life, and disability insurance. Additionally, Earthworks offers unlimited paid leave, paid parental leave, and a 403(b) retirement plan (with a 5% match after one year of employment). After seven years of employment, staff are eligible for a 12 week, fully paid sabbatical.
How to Apply
We strongly encourage and seek applications from people of color, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, people with disabilities, and bilingual individuals. Reasonable accommodations will be made so that applicants with disabilities may participate in the application and interview process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Apply online at https://www.careers-page.com/earthworks-2/job/L3RRX988, including a cover letter, resume, writing sample or sample of comms work, and any links to blogs, Op-Eds, social media handles, websites, or other online presence that highlights your experience. No phone calls please.
Qualified applicants can expect to complete three interview stages: an initial phone interview, a panel interview, and a final interview.