Who We Are
For K-8 teachers and their students, Empatico is a mission-driven edtech organization dedicated to fostering a more empathetic future generation. We are creating a better world by helping students recognize their shared humanity through virtual pen pal experiences. Empatico brings young people together across lines of difference and encourages them to be more empathetic, curious, and thoughtful human beings.
Recipient of a World Changing Ideas Award and featured on NBC Nightly News and Common Sense Education’s 2021 Selections for Learning, Empatico’s mission is to empower children to form meaningful connections that foster a more empathetic world. Our vision is to be the leading classroom connector worldwide.
For over five years, Empatico has enabled educators and students to explore the world without ever leaving the classroom. In the fall of 2022, Empatico relaunched our platform in response to the changing education landscape. We offer a free browser-based platform that allows educators to safely connect students with a partner classroom anywhere in the world. These experiences elevate learning, as students practice the interpersonal skills that are key to their success in building cross-cultural relationships throughout their lives. The platform, utilizing Zoom Video Communications, Inc., includes best-in-class communication tools, live video, chat messaging, scheduling options, file-sharing, and intuitive classroom matching. Empatico educators can match with multiple partners, curating their own community of teachers who share similar interests, have overlapping time zones, availability, and more.
By creating millions of meaningful connections, Empatico is not only preparing students to better navigate the complexities, challenges, and opportunities of life in our highly connected world, it’s building a better future for all of us, one classroom at a time.
Empatico has received generous seed funding from The KIND Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization on a mission to foster kinder and more empathetic communities by investing in programs that will have a scalable, lasting impact.
What You’ll Do
At this critical stage of Empatico’s growth, we are diversifying our revenue streams as well as deepening and expanding funding partnerships between Empatico and like-minded organizations that share our vision and commitment to empathy and bridge-building. We are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated Corporate Philanthropy & Business Development Manager to support the expansion of the organization’s fundraising efforts. The position is full-time and reports to the Managing Director.
- Build and manage a portfolio of funding prospects and partners including foundations, corporate partners, technology platforms, and other businesses with financial support potential through identification, cultivation, solicitation, reporting, and stewardship.
- Create and refine systems, processes, and tools for building and managing a fundraising pipeline to include proposals, outcomes and deadlines, establishing clear goals, metrics, and performance measurements.
- Conduct prospect research and lead new business efforts, expanding the pipeline of Empatico’s potential partners through outreach, relationship-building and management.
- Work cross-functionally with marketing and program teams to collaborate on outreach and messaging, ensuring Empatico’s external narrative, communications, and marketing strategies are aligned and cohesive.
- Monitor and remain up to date on partnership and sponsorship trends, as well as cause marketing.
- Manage one direct report, Partnerships Coordinator.
- 5-7 years related experience in development, particularly in corporate partnerships, strategic alliances, cause marketing, corporate social responsibility and/or fundraising.
- Experience establishing a network of relationships in the nonprofit sector with experience managing a grants calendar and overseeing a grant writer.
- Experience preparing and updating grant proposals, ensuring that all proposals, reports and supplemental materials are submitted by deadlines.
- Excellent communication, project management and relationship building skills with superior written, oral and interpersonal skills.
- Experienced manager with high level of confidence and the ability to work independently as well as within a cross-functional team environment of diverse groups of people in different departments and functions.
- Ability to pivot and adapt quickly to shifting priorities.
- Proven success developing and presenting presentations and proposals to institutional partners/funders.
- A sense of humor and the ability to laugh.
- Passionate belief in Empatico’s mission and a commitment to our core values.
- Ability to travel up to 15% of the time.
- Experience with Salesforce
- Experience in the education or edtech sector
- Knowledge of current trends and issues in education and technology and/or the skill/motivation to learn about these sectors
- Fluency in Spanish and/or other languages