The Fair Trade sales and marketing internship is with Vumwe Designs, a Fair Trade social enterprise project of Empower Tanzania’s Beyond Gender-Based Violence program. This is a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in their field of study while empowering a community of in Tanzania. We are specifically looking for students who are pursuing a degree in international business, marketing, communications, Africology or gender studies, but the opportunity is open to all majors.
We are asking for a minimum commitment of three months and are willing to provide support with any internship credit requirements and letters of recommendation upon successful completion of the internship.
The intern will work directly under the supervision of the Director of Fair Trade. In addition to the valuable experience and skills that students will gain, we believe that this internship will also be a great resume-building opportunity.
Empower Tanzania’s Fair Trade program is seeking a self-motivated college student to provide support on a range of sales and marketing initiatives that support Empower Tanzania’s Fair Trade Social Enterprise, Vumwe Designs.
The Fair Trade Intern assists with a diverse range of tasks from supporting market research to executing sales communications to drive the organization’s Fair Trade sales goals and mission awareness.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
Depending on the qualification of the intern, a combination of the following tasks may be assigned:
• Assisting in developing and executing Vumwe Designs communication strategies, especially for 2023 wholesale and retail campaigns, and brand ambassador recruitment.
• Fair Trade product inventory management
• Be an ambassador for Vumwe Designs and help spread the word of the work we are doing to make an impact in women’s lives in Tanzania.
• Develop copywriting and basic graphic design for social media and email marketing.
• Perform web-based market research.
• Communicate progress to the supervisor and keep weekly progress notes in the team’s online project management tool.
• Generating sales leads, and sending introductory emails and cold calls to potential buyers.
• Build relationships with local/regional student groups to spread the word about Empower Tanzania and Vumwe Design’s mission.
• Respond to sales requests and escalate interested buyers to the Director of Fair Trade (DFT).
• Send pricing, digital sales catalog, or other sales materials to interested buyers.
• Coordinate sales calls for DFT.
• Participate in weekly one-on-one call with DFT.
• College student studying African Studies, gender studies, international business, marketing, communications, merchandising or other related fields to support a social impact project that empowers women and survivors of gender-based violence.
• The ideal candidate should have an interest in social enterprise projects and women’s empowerment.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Self-motivated and independent worker
• Basic knowledge of marketing tools and software. i.e. Canva, social media platform management, email marketing systems