The Development and Finance Manager performs a broad range of financial and grants management activities, including implementing the organization’s development program, identifying potential funders, drafting and submitting grant proposals, and ensuring compliance with funder-specified implementation and reporting requirements. Reporting to the President, the Development and Finance Manager will support the President and Board Treasurer with various financial accounting activities, manage the organization’s receipts and disbursements, and manage the organization’s budget.
In this newly-established role, the Development and Finance Manager will conduct work for both Farm Action and Farm Action Fund. While motivated by the same core values for a just food system, Farm Action and Farm Action Fund operate independently of one another and each organization has its own board of directors.
Development and Grants Management
- Assist with the development of the organization’s funding program
- Manage all fundraising activities, including grant-writing, annual appeal, individual donor development, and corporate giving
- Coordinate grant-writing and reporting activities, and help maintain relationships with our funders
- Identify, qualify, and prioritize potential donors, building on our current alumni list and contact base
- Ensure compliance with funder-specified implementation and reporting requirements
- Work with other staff to comply with funders’ terms and conditions, manage deliverables, monitor spending, request amendments, and plan spend-out
- Ensure complete documentation of funding awards
- Draft and submit grant reports.
- Implement a moves management process to support individual gift giving; facilitate the development of relationships with major donors through personal meetings, regular communications, special events, or arrange for meetings with executive leadership
- Manage the annual appeal process
- Develop and maintain donor and grant records and ensure the accuracy and efficacy of the donor database
- Lead and manage the production of special letters and emails, gift acknowledgments, and other communications with individual, foundation, and corporate donors
- Research funding sources and trends and analyze with foresight to help position Farm Action ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Support budget creation, budget projections, and analysis of expenses as needed
- Monitor budget and provide reports on actual expenditures vs. budgeted expenditures
- Reconcile bank accounts
- Prepare, review, and distribute monthly reports, funder reports, and others
- Work with President and Board Treasurer to ensure timely and accurate processing of payables and deposits
- Maintain accounting software, making appropriate journal entries of receipts and disbursements
- In coordination with organizations’ accountants, manage financial accounts in anticipation of tax preparation
- Maintain financial records and receipts
- Three or more years of related work experience
- Knowledge and experience of fundraising for a nonprofit organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with grant management
- Knowledge and experience in accounting principles
- Knowledge of QuickBooks financial software
- Proficiency with MS Office, including a strong proficiency working with Excel spreadsheets
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity
- Demonstrated skills in managing multiple concurrent workflows and timelines
- Proactive; enjoys being a driver of a process and working independently as well as in a team
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Trustworthy, ethical, and authentic in all situations
- Ability to travel for fundraising activities is expected
Compensation, Hours, and Location
This is a full-time remotely-based position. Compensation is $62,000 – $72,000, based on experience. A monthly $300 healthcare stipend is provided. Benefits include 15 days of leave with pay per year, one Friday off per month as designated by the Executive Team, and eight days off for recognized holidays (a total of 35 paid days off per year).
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development and Finance Manager.” Email materials in Word or PDF format only. All communications will be treated confidentially. Resume review begins immediately.
About Farm Action
Farm Action and Farm Action Fund leverage research, policy development, advocacy campaigns, and political expertise to create a food and agriculture system that works for everyday people rather than a handful of powerful corporations. We are joined in our movement by farmers, ranchers, rural communities, food system workers, policymakers, advocates, and anyone who eats. We envision a fair, inclusive, and competitive food and agriculture system that respects our land, natural resources, and neighbors around the world.
Farm Action is a tax-deductible charitable 501(c)(3) organization that formed as an affiliate organization of Farm Action Fund, a political nonprofit 501(c)(4) organization. Together, our two organizations represent a seamless chain of action from research and policy development, to the adoption of the policy through legislative action by elected officials who support our vision.
Farm Action and Farm Action Fund are committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming a diversity of voices and perspectives is essential to solving the pressing issues of today, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the farm and food movement. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.