Pursuit is a social impact organization that creates transformation where it’s needed most. Through our intensive software developer training program, we teach high-need, high-potential adults the technical skills and industry smarts needed to get their first tech jobs, advance in their careers, and become the next generation of leaders in tech. In addition to training and career support, Pursuit’s innovative operating model combines partnerships with tech companies to retrain their blue-collar workers and social impact investments to re-envision funding for outcomes-based organizations.
About the Role
At Pursuit, all employees have the opportunity to make a profound, positive social impact. Our Web Instructors perhaps have the greatest direct impact on our program participants and we are hiring several instructors to support our program expansion. As an Instructor, you will manage a class of approximately 36 Fellows with no technical background to become job-ready over a 12-month period. Instructors will deliver technical curriculum, provide feedback to Fellows and create a positive learning environment. We are hiring instructors at all levels, from associate to lead instructor.
Our office is located in Long Island City, NY but we are currently fully remote due to Coronavirus, including our classes, and will remain so for the entirety of 2021.
Cohorts have two schedules: Days (Monday – Friday 10:00 – 6:00) and Nights & Weekends (Saturday & Sunday 10:00 – 6:00; Monday – Wednesday 2:00 – 10:00pm)
- You are passionate about teaching and mentoring, and have a strong connection to our mission
- You have a no-fail attitude and love working with a big cross-functional team
- You are compassionate and able to work with a broad range of students
- Deliver full-class instruction – currently remote over Zoom
- Lead small-group and one-on-one sessions for fellows in need of additional review
- Monitor chat and answer fellow questions
- Grade fellow work; offer robust written and verbal feedback to fellows
- Spearhead workshops and activities that respond to the needs of cohort
- Build and refine curriculum materials
- Assess individual Fellows and support forecasting efforts to meet org goals
- 2+ years experience in a technical instruction or technical role
- Passion for teaching and mentorship
- Knowledge of our tech stack: Postgres – Express – React/Redux – Node.js, aka PERN
- Strong work ethic and reliability
Nice to have
Jest, Cypress, React Testing Library/Enzyme, and automation platforms such as CircleCI
This is a full-time, salaried position with competitive compensation and a wide range of benefits. Our offerings include premium health, dental, and vision insurance, flexible paid time off, and robust 401k matching.