Location: Los Angeles, can work from home Position Type: Full-Time
Application Deadline: Open until filled Start Date: September 2022
About GWC: Founded in 2001, the Garment Worker Center is a worker rights organization leading an anti-sweatshop movement to improve conditions for tens of thousands of Los Angeles garment workers. Through direct organizing, GWC develops leaders who demand enforcement of strong labor laws and accountability from factory owners, manufacturers, and fashion brands. We center immigrant workers, women of color, and their families who are impacted by exploitation in the fashion industry.
Position description: The GWC seeks a dedicated new team member to coordinate support services and referrals for our worker members, and to provide technical assistance to a worker committee on mutual aid. The position was created in response to the increase in services needed during the pandemic and requires someone committed to balancing compassionate support services with GWC‘s central organizing mission.
- Coordinate GWC’s overall response to member support needs.
- Conduct intake and provide information on available resources and/or referrals to members.
- Maintain and expand a referral network for support services such as food assistance, rental assistance, health care, among other needs.
- Provide assistance to members to schedule appointments for COVID-19 tests and vaccines.
- Conduct informational sessions with groups of members on available services.
- Support periodic needs assessments or worker surveys, including data entry.
- Conduct frequent research on local food banks and distribution events, and create flyers and social media content for members.
- Coordinate distribution of emergency funds to members.
- Coordinate shipment of emergency groceries to members, and periodic food or grocery card distribution.
- Conduct training and provide technical assistance to workers on mutual aid systems, and support a worker committee on mutual aid.
- Refer workers to GWC organizers for general recruitment or organizing support.
- Recruit workers to GWC member meetings and events, as well as to become dues-paying members.
- Support Director with fundraising efforts for emergency funds for members.
Qualifications and Skills
- 2-3 years of relevant experience such as counseling, crisis support, or trauma-informed case management.
- Strong commitment to social, racial, gender, and economic justice.
- A desire to grow and build worker power.
- Self-motivated, able to set priorities and goals, and also works well in collective settings.
- Must be proficient with LA’s public transportation system, or able to drive their own car.
- Trained in Microsoft Word and Excel; Google Calendar, Google Drive
- Fluent in Spanish and has both written and oral skills.
- Speaks Zapotec or Mayan dialect (not required).
- $60,000 annually
- Generous paid sick time, vacation, and holidays.
- Health and dental benefits.
- Retirement program, with employer matching.
- Email cover letter, resume, and 3 references to email@example.com, or https://tinyurl.com/idealist-GWC.
- Interviews will be conducted by a staff and worker member hiring committee.
THE GARMENT WORKER CENTER IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, RELIGION, COLOR, SEX, GENDER, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, OR AGE. ALL PERSONS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
About Garment Worker Center
Garment Worker Center is a worker rights organization leading an anti-sweatshop movement to improve conditions for tens of thousands of Los Angeles garment workers. Through direct organizing, GWC develops leaders who demand enforcement of strong labor laws and accountability from factory owners, manufacturers, and fashion brands. We center immigrant workers, women of color, and their families who are impacted by exploitation in the fashion industry.