Hours: 32 hours/week (4 days)
Salary: $89,000 – $95,000
Reports to: Executive Co-Director: Culture, Planning & Green Business Development
Benefits: Excellent benefits including health care, dental care, paid leave, socially responsible retirement plan, friendly work environment, 4-day work week
Green America is a national, nonprofit, membership organization dedicated to creating a socially just and environmentally sustainable society by using economic strategies to help solve the many challenges facing our country and world. Green America’s unique approach involves working with consumers, businesses, investors and supply chains to build an economy that serves people and the planet.
The Green Business Network is a program of Green America. Comprised of nearly 2,000 businesses, the Green Business Network is home to both rising social and eco entrepreneurs and well-established green businesses. We provide the tools, information, and consumer base to help small to mid-sized businesses, and entrepreneurs, thrive in today’s competitive green marketplace.
The Green Business Network Director will be responsible for developing and implementing plans to bring the Network to the next level of its development, including reviewing and strengthening operations, expanding the membership base, growing programs, building community, increasing revenues and further strengthening the Network’s communications and benefits.
- Oversee GBN’s Strategic Development: Working with the staff team, drive the process for catalyzing the next phase of GBN’s work, growth, and impact as a green economy leader.
- Lead Membership Growth: Develop print and digital strategies and communications, as well as networking opportunities and outreach plans, to attract new, diverse business members (single entrepreneurs and companies) to the Green Business Network. Business diversity includes race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, and more. Create new membership packages and partnerships as needed to identify, cultivate, and engage new members. Ensure membership is properly recorded, acknowledged, and that members receive all of their benefits.
- Lead Membership Renewal Campaigns: Working with the Sr. Manager for GBN Marketing & Communications and the Membership Associate, develop and ensure the timely implementation of compelling membership renewal campaigns throughout the year, including mail, email, calls, and other approaches. Ensure membership renewals are properly recorded, acknowledged, and that members receive all of their benefits.
- Lead Fundraising Initiatives: Develop communications and other benefits for Green Business Network Leaders, those who contribute financially beyond paying membership dues; identify and cultivate new Leaders; work with the GBN Editorial Associate to expand advertising by GBN members that have passed the GBN business certification, in print and digital Green America communications; develop higher dollar business sponsorships for certified GBN members. Review and implement the GBN membership benefits package to ensure all members receive compelling benefits that are useful to them and that build the green economy. Work with the Development Team on grants to build and advance GBN’s program.
- Develop & Implement New Programs for Members: Working with Green America staff teams and allies, develop and implement programs that engage GBN members in actions and educational opportunities that build a diverse green economy. Examples include helping businesses take action on the climate crisis, responsible banking and investing, sound food and agriculture practices, fair labor initiatives, and programs that advance Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion. Through webinars, action alerts, coalitional efforts, in-person and virtual gatherings, and more, educate & mobilize GBN members as a community to help advance Green America’s programmatic goals. Work with the Certification Manager to continue to upgrade our green business certification program and to engage more members in the certification process. Handle media calls, draft media releases, develop communications, and liaise with allies to build and promote GBN programs.
- Review & Strengthen Operations: Review current systems for all aspects of membership, communications, and certification for areas in need of strengthening and work with the staff team on an implementation plan to test and implement improvements for greater effectiveness. Ensure GBN has top notch systems in place to attract, engage, cultivate, and renew and attract members. Systems include Salesforce, Survey Monkey, ActOn, Trello, Microsoft suite of products.
- Lead & Oversee the GBN Team: Directly oversee the work of the Sr. Manager of GBN Marketing & Communications and the Certification Manager; support the supervision of the Membership Associate and GBN Editorial Associate by the Sr. Manager of Marketing & Communications. Ensure annual reviews are conducted, team members receive professional support and opportunities for growth. Plan & facilitate team meetings, note-taking and follow-up.
- Guide & Support the GBN Communications Strategy: Working with the Sr. Manager for Marketing & Communications, ensure the timely delivery of useful information to all GBN members via email, mail, and social media; ensure the inclusion of GBN content in the Green American magazine and Your Green Life resource.
- Create & Manage GBN Budget & Annual Planning Processes: Work with the GBN Team to create an annual budget and operating plans. High level plans are shared with the Green America staff team and board of directors.
- Organizational Support: The success of our work and the strength of our organization depend on the voluntary participation of staff from all levels of the organization in various cross-departmental teams, in addition to the core responsibilities of each staff position. While staff members are not required to participate in a voluntary team every year, we do depend on volunteers throughout the year for teams such as: Operating Plan & Budget Team; Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) Team; Pulse Survey Team; and the Fun Days Team.
- Other duties as required.
Experience doesn’t always look the same – skills are transferable, and passion is important. Please tell us how your experience can lead to success in this position.
- Commitment to Green America’s mission.
- 10-plus years of management-level responsibility including team supervision.
- Experience in marketing and partnership development.
- Proven experience with member services and growing a membership program.
- Proven experience in developing programs, benefits, and sponsorship/fundraising opportunities.
- Ability to problem solve and improve systems and processes.
- Experience working with mission-driven entrepreneurs and businesses.
- Experience in advancing justice, equity, diversity and inclusion goals.
- Strong editing and writing skills.
- Experience working in coalitions.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and ensure a team meets deadlines.
- Experience with business certification a plus.
Send resume and cover letter to GBNHire@greenamerica.org by June 15, 2023. Please indicate in your letter where you heard about the position.
Green America is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination regarding: actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions, breastfeeding, or reproductive health disorders), age (18 years of age or older), marital status (including domestic partnership and parenthood), personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation, citizenship status, credit information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Harassment on the basis of a protected characteristic is included as a form of discrimination and is strictly prohibited.
About Green America
We work to create a just and sustainable society by harnessing economic power for positive change.