Hours: 32 hours per week/4 days
Salary: $72,000 – $80,000
Grant Track: This is an 18-month position with opportunity for extension
Reports to: Soil Carbon Initiative Managing Director
Benefits: Excellent benefits including health care, dental care, paid leave, socially responsible retirement plan, friendly work environment, 4-day work week
Application Deadline: June 15, 2023, details below
Apply to: email@example.com with cover letter, resume and writing sample
Green America is a non-profit organization dedicated to creating a just and sustainable society by harnessing economic power for positive change.
The Soil Carbon Initiative (SCI) is an outcomes-based, scientific, agricultural commitment and verification program designed to help farmers and supply chains measure improvements in soil health and scale the adoption of regenerative agriculture across food and fiber acres. The SCI Company Program empowers food and fiber brands, processors, aggregators, and other supply chain participants to advance regenerative outcomes through their support of farms in the program.
We are seeking an experienced finance specialist with knowledge of federally funded agricultural conservation programs, technical assistance, and regenerative management. This role involves developing and disseminating educational materials, templates, and training, and providing targeted farmer support. The Finance Specialist will also play an integral role in managing, expanding, and evolving the SCI Farm Transition Fund, which has committed over half a million dollars in regenerative transition finance to date. The Finance Specialist will collaborate closely with the rest of the SCI team to build relationships of trust and respect as we deliver outstanding support to a diverse set of stakeholders across the country.
SCI team members can choose to work remotely or in our Washington, DC office. This position will involve occasional travel to Network meetings, conferences and business cultivation meetings, staff training, and other purposes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Farm Finance Specialist will work closely with the SCI team, as well as our organizational partners in the farm community, to expand farmer access to transition finance as they pursue their soil health and regenerative goals. Responsibilities include:
- Conduct a landscape mapping of federal funding opportunities for advancing farm-level regenerative outcomes, especially via Inflation Reduction Act funds and related sources
- Work with SCI farmers and partners to understand obstacles and opportunities for funding the regenerative transition on-farm
- Contribute to the management and evolution of the SCI Farm Transition Fund, including by seeking new and expanded sources of funding, and developing impactful models for maximizing fund impact
- Map and assess existing technical assistance resources available to farmers and develop guidance on accessing this support
- Disseminate findings through various channels, including member meetings, newsletters, webinars, and other communication platforms.
- Develop new communications resources, such as webinars and guides, to facilitate farmers’ understanding of funding opportunities and technical assistance.
- Provide application templates and assist farmers in compiling the necessary information for their funding applications
- Provide direct coaching and application assistance to a limited number of farmers seeking federal funds to support their farm transition
- Organizational Support: The success of our work and the strength of our organization depend on the voluntary participation of staff members from all levels of the organization in various cross-departmental teams, in addition to the core responsibilities of each staff position. While staff members are not required to participate in a voluntary team every year, we do depend on volunteers throughout the year for teams such as: Operating Plan & Budget Team; Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) Team; Pulse Survey Team; and our annual in-person staff gathering.
- Other duties as assigned
- 5+ years’ experience working with farmers and/or farm technical assistance providers to advance soil health and conservation outcomes.
- Experience with fundraising and grant-writing, including for federally funded programs.
- Strong knowledge of USDA-NRCS granting programs, including EQIP and CSP.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize complex topics and information into easily digestible educational materials.
- A passion for and strong knowledge of regenerative agriculture.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with internal and external audiences
- Strong technology skills, including videoconferencing and website platforms (e.g., Squarespace), Microsoft office tools, with mastery of PowerPoint, and the ability to pick up a variety of data/project management platforms.
- Demonstrates a high degree of adaptability to work on a rapidly growing team
- Creative approach to problem-solving
Please note, we recognize that experience doesn’t always look the same – skills are transferable, and passion is important. Please tell us how your experience can lead to success in this position.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are due by June 15, 2023 and will be considered on a rolling basis.
Green America is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination regarding: actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions, breastfeeding, or reproductive health disorders), age (18 years of age or older), marital status (including domestic partnership and parenthood), personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation, citizenship status, credit information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Harassment on the basis of a protected characteristic is included as a form of discrimination and is strictly prohibited.
About Green America
We work to create a just and sustainable society by harnessing economic power for positive change.