Who We Are
In today’s world, our differences can feel greater than what brings us together. Borders, political views, and digital bubbles are dividing us. The world needs human connection and empathy more than ever. Empatico is a free platform created to foster empathy among the future generation and prepare them for a world in which strong intercultural relationships are vital for success. Our mission is to connect classrooms around the world to enable children to experience meaningful interactions by discovering how their peers live and recognize their shared humanity.
Empatico’s core product is a browser-based platform for primary and lower secondary school educators connecting their students in different communities through the use of a matching algorithm, video, chat messaging, and file-sharing technology along with high-quality classroom activities that address social-emotional competencies. The platform is compatible with in-person, remote, and hybrid learning environments and gives teachers access to facilitator guides and professional development resources that equip them to better promote empathy and understanding in the classroom.
Empatico is in its third year of operation, was the recipient of a World Changing Ideas Award, has been recently featured on NBC Nightly News, NBC Nightly News Kids Edition, and CNN. We offer a fast-paced, innovative, start-up culture, with a high-energy, mission-driven work environment and the opportunity to work with a high-performing, collaborative, passionate team working towards a better future. Empatico has entered into an exciting stage of our growth, expanding into new markets and experimenting with innovative products and services — with the ultimate goal of transforming the education space through our work.
Empatico has received generous seed funding from The KIND Foundation, which is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization on a mission to foster kinder and more empathetic communities by investing in programs that will have a scalable, lasting impact.
Overview of the Role
We’re seeking a thoughtful and collaborative technologist to lead the engineering team and help shape the future of the Empatico platform. As Head of Engineering, you will be both a technical and people leader, and work cross-functionally across the organization to cultivate Empatico’s community of engaged educators and students. Reporting directly to the CTO you will manage the engineering team, serve as the lead architect, and support defining the product strategy.
The Empatico platform provides educators with matching, messaging, and video meeting features through a React web application backed with modern CI/CD pipelines and container based architecture.
- Guide and lead the software development process
- Develop effective technical solutions to drive current and future product development
- Partner with product and design leads to define the product strategy, optimize the development process, and perform ongoing product discovery
- Develop the technical strategy and define the direction and priorities of the engineering team
- Manage and mentor a talented engineering team, including overseeing code reviews
- Participate in design reviews and recommend product improvements
- Collaborate with executive and functional leadership on achieving strategic goals
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to all members of the organization
- Research new tools, languages, and methodologies to drive adoption of engineering best practices
- 5+ years professional software engineering experience with a record of launching successful products
- Experience leading and managing software engineering teams
- Ability to distill complex concepts and communicate with non-technical teammates and leadership
- Demonstrated experience in architecting full stack web applications
- Proficiency in multiple programming languages and tools, such as Ruby on Rails, TypeScript/JS, React, GraphQL, Docker, git, webpack
- Experience managing cloud workflow, CI/CD and container based deployment on AWS
- Familiarity with agile software development methodologies
- Strong mentoring skills and a willingness to teach through code reviews and informal team discussions
What Empatico Offers
- Generous paid time off
- Excellent health, dental, and vision insurance
- Employer-paid life and disability insurance
- Retirement savings plan with organizational matching
- Flexible work environment
- A chance to be part of a mission-driven organization and team that is dedicated to changing the world for the better
At Empatico (the signature initiative of The KIND Foundation), we are committed to an inclusive workplace where diversity in all its forms is championed. The KIND Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you require special accommodation, please let us know.
If you are excited about this position but feel you may not meet all the requirements, please apply anyway. We welcome candidates with a variety of backgrounds and experiences.