About Rooftop Films
Founded as a non-profit organization in 1997, Rooftop Films is an innovative grassroots non-profit film organization based in Brooklyn, NY that has been rejuvenating cinema across the five boroughs for more than two decades. Our mission is to engage and inspire diverse communities by showcasing the work of emerging filmmakers in outdoor locations, helping independent filmmakers to produce new films, renting equipment affordably & supporting film screenings citywide at low-cost to artists and community groups.
About the position
Rooftop Films seeks a skilled, non-profit finance professional with an appreciation for film to join our team. Successful applicants must be detail-oriented, organized, and collaborative problem solvers. The Finance Manager plays a key role in managing Rooftop Films’ organizational accounting and is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the general ledger. The Finance Manager will work collaboratively with other senior managers and report to both the Managing Director and President.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the general accounting of the organization using Quickbooks Online, including, but not limited to, accounts payable, accounts receivable, debit card transactions, bank and credit card reconciliations, petty cash and receipt tracking, expense reimbursements, payroll, balance sheet maintenance, general ledger maintenance, banking, sales tax filings, etc
- Assist in preparation and monitoring of operating budget and program/staffing budgets working closely with Managing Director and President
- Assist in preparation and monitoring of grant proposal budgets and reports working closely with Managing Director and Development Manager
- Manage vendor and customer relations
- Manage loans payable/interest and insurance policies
- Track, process, and enter bi-weekly payroll with Paychex PEO
- Execute month-end close, including preparation of quarterly financial reports
- Prepare short- and long-term cash flow analyses
- Support annual audit
- Assist with HR duties, including onboarding new employees, benefits administration, and employee record keeping
- Engage with staff for purposes of financial training, receipt tracking, budget monitoring, and contracting
- Manage all finance related files, including tracking fully executed contracts, contractor tax paperwork, etc
- Develop effective and efficient procedures to maximize organizational resources
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Qualifications and Qualities
- A minimum of at least 5 years experience in a similar position in budget management, accounting or bookkeeping.
- Strong working knowledge of accrual accounting and non-profit budgeting
- Strong working knowledge of QuickBooks Online and MS Excel, payroll processors like Paychex, and team management software like Google Suite, Airtable, Asana
- A demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to work toward solutions that benefit the organization
- Impeccable attention to detail and excellent organizational, planning, prioritizing, and time management skills
Start Date: May 2022
Compensation could be hourly or salaried, and will be commensurate with experience, ranging from $35 to $50/hr. Please provide salary requirements with your application. Rooftop Films is also open to flexible time, hybrid and/or remote work.
Rooftop Films is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff and an inclusive work environment, and strongly encourages people of all backgrounds, abilities, gender expressions, ethnicities, races, sexual orientations, religions, and nationalities to apply.
Interested candidates should submit a résumé and cover letter in a single Word or PDF document saved as candidate’s first and last name with subject FINANCE MANAGER to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only résumés and cover letters submitted in this format will be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
At Rooftop Films, we believe that film is powerful, not only as a creative medium, but as a vehicle for engaging in valuable dialogue with one another about the issues facing our communities. By bringing films directly to audiences, we foster connections between neighbors, artists, activists, youth and the unique spaces we all share.
A growing nonprofit organization, our mission at Rooftop Films is to engage and inspire diverse communities by showcasing the work of emerging filmmakers in outdoor locations, helping filmmakers to produce new films, and renting equipment & supporting film screenings citywide at low-cost to artists, nonprofits and community groups.
Founded in 1997 by filmmaker Mark Elijah Rosenberg, Rooftop Films set out to highlight innovative work from first time filmmakers, outsider artists, and underrepresented directors, as well as seasoned film professionals.
Since then, Rooftop Films has become more than a film festival. We are a community. For over 24 years, Rooftop Films has been championing the work of independent filmmakers and bringing films rooted in compassion, solidarity, learning, togetherness, exploration, and inspiration to tens of thousands of people across all five boroughs of New York City.