The Grant Writer supports the CEO and COO in carrying out the Kids in the Spotlight’s mission of providing an outlet and platform for youth in foster care to heal and grow from trauma through the power of storytelling and filmmaking. This role is responsible for overall grant efforts: optimizing the grant administration process, ensuring compliance with grant regulations, writing and reviewing grant proposals and reports, managing grant databases, and engaging with donors. This role requires working independently, excellent writing skills, sound judgment, and critical thinking.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform research to identify available grant opportunities and evaluate opportunities
• Research other potential funders and funding sources for programs and core support
• Identify donor prospects, convert volunteers to donors, and upgrade donors
• Facilitate grant proposal submissions, including completing administrative documents, compiling application components, and online submission
• Identify and develop strategies to optimize the grants administration process
• Oversee that grants are implemented according to the requirements of the grantor
• Monitor paperwork and other related documents connected with grant-funded programs
• Prepare financial or budget plans to meet each grant’s requirement
• Provide detailed reports to the funders and the board of directors for the organization’s progress
• Manage the donor and database, including supervision of gift entry, acknowledgment letters, invoices, etc.
• Writing fundraising appeals and acknowledgment letters
• Planning cultivation and fundraising events
• Perform primary donor prospect research and analysis
• Develop an annual fundraising strategy
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in grant writing and grant administration and 2 years in fund development
• Proficient with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
• Grant writing: 1 year (Required)
• Non-profit experience preferred
• Must have a valid California driver’s license (or be able to obtain one upon employment), have a safe driving record, and maintain California minimum required automobile insurance
• Must submit to a federal-level background check
• Nonprofit/business entrepreneurship experience
• Spanish/English bilingual
Working Conditions / Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully: Requires the ability to exert a small amount of physical effort in sedentary to light work involving moving from one area to another; requires sufficient hand/eye coordination to perform repetitive movements. Work is typically performed in an indoor office environment.
The environment is oriented to public service and subject to constant work interruptions. Employees may work under the stress of continual public and inter-departmental contact and work with volunteers while adhering to tight timelines.
• Requires 3 days in the office
• Day shift 9 am to 6 pm
• Monday through Friday
Ability to commute/relocate
• Van Nuys, CA 91401: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Kids In The Spotlight, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.