Center for Partnerships & Innovation
The Center for Partnerships & Innovation (CPI) supports NARUC’s membership of U.S. state and territory utility commissioners and commission staff. Working in partnership with NARUC members and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), CPI projects support improvements in the quality and effectiveness of public utility regulation by building relationships, developing resources, and delivering training that provides answers to state commissions’ questions. Through cooperative agreements (grants) with DOE, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and other funding sources, we develop technical assistance resources that prepare utility regulators as they tackle emerging challenges in energy regulation. CPI-developed resources can include white papers, workshops and trainings, expert panel discussions, site visits to energy infrastructure and R&D facilities, educational webinars, and more. CPI also facilitates peer sharing among NARUC members, connections among state utility regulators and subject matter experts (e.g., from DOE, national laboratories, industry) and other opportunities to assist NARUC members.
The Communications Coordinator will support CPI program staff by developing and executing outreach and communications that inform NARUC members, funders, and stakeholders of CPI events and resources. Key objectives of the position are to: (1) expand awareness of CPI resources to intended audiences, particularly NARUC member commissioners and staff, (2) develop resource-specific communications strategies to increase participation in CPI events, (3) solidify CPI’s status as a go-to resource for information relevant to utility regulators. Coordinating with CPI staff across numerous programmatic areas and NARUC-wide communications staff, the Communications Coordinator will develop and publicize e-newsletters, social media, press releases, and other forms of outreach to improve awareness of in-person and virtual resources and events. In addition, the Communications Coordinator also supports program staff with developing and organizing presentation materials, regularly updating the CPI website, maintaining email lists , and performing other activities necessary to conduct successful outreach.
The position reports to the Senior Director, Center for Partnerships & Innovation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
· Develops and executes outreach strategies to effectively extend the reach and audience of NARUC CPI resources.
· Creates and manages messaging to showcase CPI program results and accomplishments in a variety of communications mediums.
· Leverages creative communications tools and reporting formats to convey information easily across a variety of audiences and platforms.
· Develops visually attractive and compelling posts for NARUC social media accounts.
· Compiles and publicizes the biweekly CPI Newsletter by gathering event announcements and resources from CPI staff and funders.
· Coordinates with the NARUC Communications Department to make contributions on behalf of CPI to the biweekly NARUC Bulletin newsletter.
· Liaises with copyeditors and graphic designers to ensure that NARUC CPI publications have a consistent and professional style and branding to include preselecting images, suggesting presentation styles, and reviewing document proofs.
· Conducts post-event activities for teleconferences, webinars, virtual trainings, and other virtual events, including gathering and compiling presentation materials, basic video editing, and posting video recordings and presentations to NARUC’s YouTube channel and website.
· Maintains subject-specific email lists to use in disseminating topical resources; maintains listservs in NARUC’s membership database.
· Prepares updates for the NARUC CPI website, including reviewing webpages regularly to identify needed updates, drafting webpage text, and uploading files to NARUC’s publications library. Collaborates with external web coding vendor to ensure accurate changes are made.
· Oversees the printing of grant-related materials (publications, announcements, posters) needed for in-person events and prepares relevant materials for virtual events.
· Collaborates closely with CPI Events Coordinator and program staff.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other duties as assigned.
· A bachelor’s or associate’s degree or equivalent and two years of professional experience in communications, marketing, or outreach.
· U.S. citizenship or existing work authorization is required.
· Requires excellent organizational and communications skills and strong attention to detail.
· Must have outstanding writing, reviewing, and editing skills and an eye for design.
· Knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style and/or AP style is desirable.
· Must be able to manage multiple and competing priorities while also assisting and updating multiple program staff and NARUC members and partners.
· Must be able to work well in both a team setting and individually.
· Ability to travel domestically on occasion.
The position is grant-funded and continued employment is based on federal funding. This is an exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience. NARUC has an excellent benefits package.
This description is not an attempt to list all essential functions of this position. Job duties may change over time, based on NARUC’s needs.
Work location is flexible with operating hours in the Eastern time zone; employees have the option of working from NARUC’s Washington, DC office.
The National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.