Senior Site Reliability Engineer
The Senior Site Reliability Engineer will be responsible for creation, maintenance, and ongoing monitoring of key parts of Newsela’s infrastructure stack. You will be writing code primarily in Terraform and Python to build out a sustainable and reliable platform for our suite of applications and services. Additionally, you will contribute to the discovery, experimentation, and selection of critical parts of our software development lifecycle, from continuous integration to release management and instrumentation. You will work with other members of the Site Reliability and Engineering teams to ensure that the code and infrastructure created are well documented and easy to understand by developers of all skill levels. Reporting to the Vice President of SRE and Data Systems, you will partner closely with our application development teams to ensure that the code that they write is easily deployable to a highly available and performant environment, both in the course of active development and within production environments.
Why you’ll love this role:
- As a member of our growing site reliability team, you will have the opportunity to impact the student and teacher experience by ensuring our applications are highly available and incredibly performant
- You will also gain exposure to a wide scope of technologies, from container orchestration and data pipelines to observability platforms and release management tooling
- You’ll have the opportunity to make substantial decisions about the direction of Newsela’s infrastructure as code platforms
- You will have the responsibility and opportunity to manage and optimize the cost effective SRE deliveries, and lead and mentor a talented team of Site Reliability Engineers
- You will have a direct impact on overall application uptime and quality, which will ultimately scale Newsela’s ability to bring engaging, culturally responsive learning content to K-12 classrooms nationwide
Why you’re a great fit:
- You have 4+ years of experience in a site reliability engineering, devops, or platform engineering roles in a cloud environment using AWS, additional experience with GCP is a plus
- You have strong experience in building infrastructure solutions using Terraform
- You are very comfortable in using Python language and bash scripting for building tools and platform engineering solutions
- You have experience with Database Operations using Postgres and/or MySQL
- You have strong experience in building and maintaining CI/CD pipelines using tools like Drone, CircleCI, etc, alongside experience working with containers (Docker, Kubernetes), and networking (TCP/IP, VPCs, DNS)
- You’re comfortable working with observability solutions including logging, monitoring, and alerting using tools like AWS Cloudwatch, Datadog, Sentry, Loggly, or similar tools
One of the fastest growing tech companies in K-12 education, Newsela was founded on the principle that while every child may have unique learning preferences, they all deserve a rich learning experience that ignites a love of learning. We built our platform based on learning science research to deliver the most engaging, authentic content to modernize how teaching happens in the classroom. Along with interactive assessments and tools, we provide teachers with digital content at five reading levels — from +100 of the best sources — that is relevant to the diverse backgrounds and interests of their students. Since we started in 2013, we’ve established a presence in 90% of U.S. K-12 schools and over 2.5M teachers and 37M students have registered with Newsela.
Why you’ll love working at Newsela:
- Health & Wellness: Access to the world’s leading medical experts for healthcare (pets included!). Discounts and resources to stay healthy: mind, body, and soul
- Work From Home: Almost all of our roles are fully remote – tech stipend included!
- Supporting ALL Families: Supplemental programs and time off to take care of your family and yourself
- Time Off: Flexible PTO to recharge, including Sabbatical Leave
- Inclusive Experiences: Robust DEIB curriculum, Identity & Experience Groups (Affinity Groups + Employee Resource Group), Authentic & Transparent conversations with Executive Leadership Teams, and integration of DEIB lens across Talent lifecycle processes
- Professional Development: Annual stipends for continued education, regular manager training sessions, lunch & learns, and individual growth plans aligned with your personal and professional aspirations
- Make A Difference: No matter your role or department, the work you do each day helps shape the future of education and improves the lives of students and teachers