NextGen America is seeking an Arizona Deputy State Director, who will support the Arizona State Director in managing the day-to-day operations of the Arizona state program and will support the execution of the national organizing program in the state. We are searching for someone who is a strong manager and coach, experienced in organizing strategy, and excellent at coordination between departments.
This role would report to the Arizona State Director.
The ideal candidate has a passion for politics and a belief that young people will make the difference in politics. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We value and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an organization–in theory and in practice, and our culture reflects that value and commitment. We are committed to furthering issues like climate change, health care, and immigration from a progressive perspective, and we seek to engage the public in these areas as well as others. We also recognize the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system and strive to make positive changes within our system as a result.
This role is remote, but applicants must live in or be willing to relocate to Arizona.
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Remote Position: Yes
Union position: No
Travel Requirements: 10-20%
Position End Date: 11/15/2022
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist state director in managing organizing program day-to-day, including traveling to work hands-on with state staff.
- Provide hands-on support to develop and execute a 2021-2022 primary plan and voter registration programs across Arizona.
- Serve as a coordinator between digital, operations, data, and other departments to ensure we’re running unified and collaborative programs
- Write organizing and voter contact strategy plans, in collaboration with the Arizona State Director
- Help craft weekly, monthly, and quarterly goals for state field programs, including voter registration, canvass programs, and campus team-building metrics.
- Develop and lead a comprehensive training curriculum for in-state staff at all levels, including both virtual and in-person trainings.
- Creates a culture of learning and growth (communicating important information to teams on a daily, weekly and as needed basis through huddles, “pod” meetings, and other forms of communication).
- Be responsible for reporting progress to the National States and Organizing Director, including management of daily progress to goal and accomplishments.
- Support states’ development of in-state best practices for systems and processes to run strong field programs.
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 3+ years of organizing experience, with at least 2 cycles managing organizing staff and/or senior state staff
- Experience in writing organizing plans
- Strong management skills and positive attitude towards coaching and developing staff
- Very well organized; excellent written, verbal and presentation communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues and outside organizations and be able to multi-task without sacrificing quality of work
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to foster a cooperative, team-oriented work environment
- Experience working with VAN or Votebuilder is required. Extensive experience with Google Drive and Google Sheets is strongly recommended.
- EveryAction experience a plus
- Comfortable working remotely in a highly collaborative distributed workforce setting
- Experience in distributed organizing programs
- Experience organizing in communities of color and prior training in anti-oppression, equity and inclusion organizing
- Experience with both issue and electoral organizing
- Experience working on youth organizing programs
- Familiarity with online organizing tactics, including peer-to-peer text messaging and social media organizing.
In-person meetings are an essential part of this position. Consistent with NextGen America’s efforts to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees, volunteers, and communities in which we serve, proof of full vaccination status at time of hire is an employment requirement for this position.
Salary range for this position is $87,500.00. compensation will be based on experience. NextGen America also offers a very comprehensive benefits package.
ABOUT NEXTGEN AMERICA:
NextGen America is the leading national organization for engaging young people through voter education, registration and mobilization. We invite 18-to-35 year olds — the largest and most diverse generation in American history — into our democracy to ensure our government works for them and to find new solutions to the dire challenges facing our society and the world. Since 2013, NextGen America has registered more than 1.4 million young voters and educated many millions more, delivering more than the margin of victory for progressives in key races and building an electorate that will lead American politics for decades to come.