Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation (PIDC) is Philadelphia’s public-private economic development corporation. Our mission is to spur investment, support business growth, and foster developments that create jobs, revitalize neighborhoods and drive growth to every corner of Philadelphia. You can learn more about PIDC at www.pidcphila.com.
Since acquiring the 1,200-acre former Philadelphia Naval Shipyard in 2000, PIDC has managed its transformation into a thriving mixed-use campus on the Delaware River. The Navy Yard features an eclectic mix of historic buildings and new high-performance and LEED-certified construction oriented around world-class open space. The Navy Yard is now home to more than 150 companies with 15,000 employees.
PIDC’s Navy Yard team is responsible for making the Navy Yard a great place to work, visit, invest, and develop. Specifically, the team is responsible for commercial leasing, development planning and partnerships, campus programming, transit, electric utility operation, and infrastructure development. You can learn more about the Navy Yard, its history, current activity, and plans for growth at www.NavyYard.org.
The Marketing, Communications, and Community Engagement Intern will report to the Director of Navy Yard Marketing & Communications who oversees Navy Yard communications strategies, marketing, events, community development, and corporate social responsibility. The intern will help to develop marketing content in a variety of print and electronic formats; assist with community outreach and engagement initiatives; assist with creative placemaking activities; organize and participate in community events, projects, and meetings with Navy Yard tenants, partners, stakeholders, and community leaders.
Community Engagement – 35%
- Conduct initial research and compile information on public space programming and park space planning
- Assist with outreach for community engagement efforts, providing logistical support at community meetings, and compile feedback for analysis
- Support and attend Navy Yard presentations, tours, employee orientations, and other community engagement efforts
- Assist with logistics for community events, both internal and external
Digital Marketing & Research – 35%
- Assist in researching, writing, and editing original content for the Navy Yard website and the Yard BLOG
- Assist with data analysis and tracking for website traffic and social media
- Help develop and implement distribution strategies for various Navy Yard employees and partners for weekly, monthly, or quarterly communications outlets
Special Projects – 30%
- Assist with creating, planning, and executing seasonal social media challenges and
- Assist with creating, developing, and executing outreach and engagement strategies for community events, workshops, programs, and initiatives
- Research and develop creative placemaking strategies and wayfinding initiatives
- Catalogue Navy Yard photo assets and conversion of historic mediums (slides, negatives, print) to digital format
- Undergraduate or Graduate student with relevant work experience and/or coursework in marketing and communications preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multitask effectively with strong attention to detail.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint, and familiarity with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn)
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Passion for the City of Philadelphia and enthusiasm for PIDC’s mission to help businesses and non-profit organizations create and retain jobs in Philadelphia
- Flexibility and willingness to pitch in to support various projects, and tasks as needs arise
- Interests in Urban Planning, Economic Development, Community Development, Marketing, and Advertising are a plus