The Product Manager’s main responsibility will be managing the development of the Public Health Infrastructure Data System (PHIDS) online platform. PHIDS is a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)-funded data portal which supports public health department transformation by compiling, visualizing, and reporting on core aspects of health department infrastructure including staffing and ability to carry out core public health functions.
The Product Manager, under the direction of the Senior Director of Product Development and Data Systems, will lead or contribute to the development of requirements for implementation and enhancement of PHIDS and related systems. They will be responsible for the day-to-day management of projects, working across PHAB teams and vendor organizations. The Manager will maintain a steady finger on the pulse of the PHIDS portfolio, routinely provide status updates to PHAB management to communicate progress, risks, and propose mitigation strategies, as well as escalate ad-hoc as necessary.
As necessary, the Product Manager will also assist the Senior Director in the program and project management of other data systems in the department’s portfolio. They will also participate in the equity-based strategic goal-setting of the unit to meet PHAB’s goals and related metrics*.
Manages product lifecycle of PHIDS, including ideation, prototyping, implementation, and improvement
- Identifies and utilizes equity-informed design principles (e.g., Liberatory** Design , Equity Design Thinking***) throughout the entire product lifecycle
- Develops and manages a product roadmap and backlog, utilizing an equity-informed lens to gather, track, prioritize, and govern user needs
- Maintains keen insight on the needs of PHIDS users (e.g., health departments) to make product suggestions
- Coordinates with experts in data harmonization to incorporate new data sources into the system
- Serves as PHAB’s subject matter expert for data visualization to ensure consideration of best practices
Leads PHIDS project management for implementation and enhancement cycles
- Manages the process for gathering requirements from PHIDS users and PHAB staff
- Documents traceability of requirements such that leadership has ready visibility into all activities including design, development, testing, and support
- Leads user acceptance testing, including schedule development and coordination of PHAB staff resources
- Manages the release schedule for enhancements, including a communication plan with clients
Leads daily management of vendor engagements related to PHIDS implementation and enhancements cycles
- Maintains relationships with vendors to ensure conformance to project timelines and support agreements
- Identifies and anticipates project risks and barriers, including those related to vendors, and escalates to PHAB management as necessary
- Reviews and makes recommendations about contracts to PHAB management
Develops a client success plan and relevant supports
- In collaboration with vendors, develops and implements a ticketing system for enhancements and bugs
- Provides Tier 1 support and escalates issues to vendors per maintenance agreements
- Communicates with health department officials about enhancements and issues
- Maintains a library of PHIDS-related documentation to ensure user success
- Coordinates with education/TA staff on training materials for users and manages process to respond to questions and requests from users
Supports program and project management of other data systems as necessary
- Actively and independently suggests ways to contribute to emergent PHAB needs, including ideation of new products, opportunities for streamlining processes, and opportunities to further implement equity-based frameworks into all elements of product management
- Provides analytical, program and project management support to other systems in the Research & Product Development portfolio as necessary to help drive the unit towards PHAB’s objectives and goals
Knowledge and Skills required:
- Advanced degree (Master’s or Doctorate) in relevant field (e.g., degrees in business administration, UI/UX, informatics, public health, etc.) preferred; work experience (4 years) could substitute for an advanced degree
- 3-4 years of progressively responsible experience in program management, including oversight of new products or programs from start to completion; experience must include working with IT developers and clients
- 2-3 years of experience with requirements development and testing of information systems
- 2-3 years of experience managing application development vendors
- 2-3 years of experience analyzing, managing and/or presenting data, preferably in a public health setting
- Experience working with data with special confidentiality concerns (i.e., public health or health data or other governmental data sets) required
- Experience working in or supporting a public health or governmental setting strongly preferred
- Experience with data visualization and presentation to non-technical stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to identify and effectively address performance-limiting issues affecting both individuals and teams
- Demonstrated ability to identify new or emerging programmatic needs and to develop and/or adapt programs or initiatives to address them, going from concept to implementation
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with external partners and/or stakeholders to develop common approaches to address complex issues
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills as demonstrated by clear record of accomplishment in providing training and informational presentations and developing written guidance, or requirements
- Demonstrated track record of adaptive leadership, innovation, creativity, flexibility, collaboration, strategic thinking, implementation of strategy through collaboration in teams and across teams, valuing inclusion & diversity, and depth of relevant subject matter expertise
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365
The PHIDS Product Manager contributes to the success of PHAB with responsibility for developing and managing one of PHAB’s new flagship products. The incumbent works under the general direction of the Senior Director of Product Development and Data Systems and the Vice President of Research and Product Development. The incumbent focuses on implementing and enhancing PHIDS and honing its unique value in transforming public health departments through work across PHAB’s units and teams. The Product Manager contributes to the advancement of PHAB’s mission in accordance with stated goals and workplans, raising the visibility of PHAB’s contributions to advancing public health practice.
Interested applicants are required to submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com in order to be considered.
About Public Health Accreditation Board
The mission of PHAB is to advance and transform public health practice by championing performance improvement, strong infrastructure, and innovation. We support health departments in their work to promote the health of the communities they serve through accreditation and recognition, education, technical assistance, and research & evaluation.
A high performing governmental public health system that supports all people living their healthiest lives. All health departments in the U.S should be accredited. Accreditation is a vehicle to transparency and trust in public health – communities can feel confident that their health departments are providing Foundational Capabilities and meeting national standards for performance and quality.
Health departments are the backbone of the public health system. The public health system is essential for ensuring healthy, safe, and equitable communities. Health departments are a vital part of this system, and positively impact the health of the communities they serve, through essential services such as vaccination, food inspections and health education, yet they are often underfunded and undervalued.
Lack of sustainable funding and resources for our public health system put our communities at risk. PHAB contributes to the advancement of public health practice and system improvement to support people living their healthiest lives.
Accreditation and innovation are critical to public health transformation.
We promote evidence and innovation to support health departments in their delivery of programs and services to drive performance improvement and strong infrastructure.