The mission of the Public Health Accreditation Board (PHAB) is to advance and transform public health practice by championing performance improvement, strong infrastructure, and innovation. PHAB is the accrediting body for Tribal, state, local, and territorial governmental public health departments in the U.S. Accreditation provides a means for a public health department to identify performance improvement opportunities, to improve management, develop leadership, and improve relationships with members of the community. PHAB is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism (IDEA) and is on an ongoing journey to build an inclusive and welcoming organization.
PHAB is hiring the following Program Assistant positions:
- Program Assistant, Communications and Public Affairs
- Program Assistant, Program Operations
- Program Assistant, Research and Product Development
These positions will provide general programmatic and administrative support for PHAB, based on the unit or department of hire. The Program Assistant will assist the PHAB Unit/Department staff in implementing work plans and processes. Tasks may include coordination of virtual/in-person/hybrid meetings, events and trainings, travel logistics, note taking and development of meeting materials and summaries, documentation of processes, policies and procedures, processing of documents, reports, data or information and technology and systems support.
The Program Assistant may interact with and provide support and technical assistance to employees from PHAB, health departments, vendors, professional associations, site visitors, committees/workgroups, and other individuals and organizations with whom PHAB interacts.
The incumbent will engage in other logistical and communication activities to support PHAB. The position will provide an opportunity to learn about and be a part of shaping the practice of public health throughout the country. The Program Assistant will have the opportunity to engage in other organizational activities, as appropriate. The Program Assistant will participate in the equity-based strategic goals of the unit to meet PHAB’s organizational strategic priorities.
GENERAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide internal and external scheduling support
- Assist in planning meetings and webinars. This includes help with logistics, meeting summaries, and other responsibilities. Meetings may be virtual or in-person
- Assist in maintaining internal processes and procedures
- Develop and maintain department files and systems
- Track and respond to internal and external inquiries
- Track and process documents
- Contribute to organizational strategic plan and other priorities
- Other duties as assigned
DEPARTMENT-SPECIFIC POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:
Program Assistant, Communications and Public Affairs
- Assist in regular and timely data entry, list or database maintenance and research as well as reporting
- Create content for and post to social channels, assist in developing social and digital content campaigns
- Assist in maintenance of PHAB related websites
- Assist in design of digital media, print materials, presentations, and graphics for video
- Assist with creating, placing, monitoring, and reporting on digital ad campaigns
- Assist with development of fact sheets, one pagers, talking points, newsletters, website content, blog posts, op-eds, LTEs, press releases, media advisories, speeches and policy or government related briefs
- Copy edit written content, spelling and grammar check, style check (against style and branding guides) and readability check (through an online engine)
- Place follow up calls or send follow up emails to media outlets
Program Assistant, Program Operations
- Assist with developing and updating technical assistance materials, including factsheets, templates, newsletter content, website, and other materials
- Assist staff in editorial reviews of reports and other materials
- Support learning communities or other health department engagement opportunities
- Provide support as a first point of contact for responding to questions from health departments.
- Monitor and track technical assistance requests
Program Assistant, Research and Product Development
- Assist in conducting literature reviews and environmental scans
- Draft portions and conduct editorial reviews of reports and other written materials
- Assist in extracting information from other data sources (e.g., from articles, health department documentation) and coding for themes
- Participate in data cleaning and quality assurance activities
- Participate in user acceptance testing of electronic systems
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
This section describes the knowledge, skills, and expertise that we consider most important to success in this position. We recognize that not everyone will be an exact fit for this list, and we know you offer strengths and talents beyond what we have listed. If you have a vision and excitement for this role and our mission, and/or if you have been directly impacted by the public health, systemic and social issues that we address, we encourage your application.
- Bachelor’s degree; preference given to individuals with 1-2 years’ professional experience;
- Interest in the field of public health, business operations or communications, particularly topics relating to accreditation, performance improvement, infrastructure, innovations, research, and operations;
- Excellent customer relationship skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organization skills;
- Commitment to approaching work through a diversity, inclusion, equity, and anti-racism lens (IDEA)
- Computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft 365;
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic and ability to work independently and collaboratively;
- Proven writing and editing skills;
- Excellent ability to multitask and prioritize tasks effectively within tight timelines;
- Skilled in the use of technology, including learning new platforms and helping others to successfully use them; and
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with peers in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines while seeking guidance when needed
- Ability to travel
HYBRID EMPLOYER ENVIRONMENT:
The Public Health Accreditation Board’s staff currently work in a hybrid office environment. At the time of hiring, staff members are asked to elect if they will primarily work from an office in their home or in the headquarters office (currently in Alexandria, VA.) If they elect to work from a home office, they must agree to maintain a professional working environment with a dedicated workspace, including high-speed internet access. All staff are required to participate in in-person staff meetings that occur currently on a semi-annual basis for up to 5 consecutive days. These in-person staff meetings may be increased quarterly, as determined by management. Travel and related expenses for these meetings will be paid for by the employer.
All staff and volunteers of the Public Health Accreditation Board are required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Additional vaccination requirements may be put in place in the future as warranted by the current COVID-19 pandemic or emergent public health threats in the future.
PHAB is committed to equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, religious creed, physical disability, mental disability, age, medical conduction (e.g. cancer or a record or history of cancer), marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Our management team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities and general treatment during employment.
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $55,000 – $65,000
Interested applicants should submit their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered.
About Public Health Accreditation Board
The mission of PHAB is to advance and transform public health practice by championing performance improvement, strong infrastructure, and innovation. We support health departments in their work to promote the health of the communities they serve through accreditation and recognition, education, technical assistance, and research & evaluation.
A high performing governmental public health system that supports all people living their healthiest lives. All health departments in the U.S should be accredited. Accreditation is a vehicle to transparency and trust in public health – communities can feel confident that their health departments are providing Foundational Capabilities and meeting national standards for performance and quality.
Health departments are the backbone of the public health system. The public health system is essential for ensuring healthy, safe, and equitable communities. Health departments are a vital part of this system, and positively impact the health of the communities they serve, through essential services such as vaccination, food inspections and health education, yet they are often underfunded and undervalued.
Lack of sustainable funding and resources for our public health system put our communities at risk. PHAB contributes to the advancement of public health practice and system improvement to support people living their healthiest lives.
Accreditation and innovation are critical to public health transformation.
We promote evidence and innovation to support health departments in their delivery of programs and services to drive performance improvement and strong infrastructure.