Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about this role.
To apply for this role, please submit your resume and respond to the prompts through our application form. Please know that your application will be assessed primarily on the basis of your prompt answers, so please ensure they represent your fit for the role well. We ask that you spend no more than two hours preparing your responses to the two question prompts; there’s also several other logistical questions which have no time limit. You’re able to submit your application until October 24th EOD in your local time.
About the role
This role is fully remote and we’re able to legally hire from most countries, however we prefer applicants to be located in North, Central and South American Time Zones, as well as African and European Time Zones (UTC-8 to UTC+3). We’re looking preferably for a full-time staff. The salary for this position is between $69,000 and $72,000 USD annually.
As our Communications Coordinator, you will be leading Rethink Priorities’ strategic communications. The main way we as an organization have impact is by improving the effectiveness of other individuals and organizations. Through your work, you will enhance the overall impact of the effective altruism movement by making our findings accessible to key decision-makers in the different cause areas we work in a very actionable way. As an experienced communicator with a good understanding of our work, you will identify the best ways to convey key insights from our research to our different audiences. These include fellow researchers, nonprofit organization leaders, grantmakers, prospective donors, and increasingly also policymakers. You will develop and promote our visual identity across different communication channels and platforms. You will join our Operations Team and report directly to the Director of Development. Over the next few years, you likely will have the opportunity to build up an entire communications team. Your exceptional judgment will help us prioritize where and how to communicate our mission so that we can achieve maximum impact.
- Develop and implement RP’s communications strategy
- Lead our brand management and ensure that our voice is consistent across all channels
- Produce style guides for our communications
- Prepare texts written by researchers and other staff for publication
- Be in charge of our visual communication, including providing guidance on data visualization
- Oversee work with graphic designers and copyeditors, as needed
- Write newsletters and oversee the creation of tailor-made publications for key stakeholders of our work
- Create visual resources for internal use as needed, such as templates, presentations, and images for our various operational needs, such as reporting, onboardings, guides and manuals, agendas, internal newsletters, etc.
- Lead website design in Squarespace and web content creation
Shape our presence on social media (develop the strategy and produce content)
- Manage our public relations and respond to media inquiries
- Conduct communication trainings for staff
- Strong understanding of effective altruism and longtermism
- Previous experience (at least 2 years) in a generalist communications role, including producing written content, editing complex texts, leading public relations, managing social media, and overseeing graphic design and web design
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Interest in at least some of the different cause areas RP is working in (EA Movement Research, Longtermism, Animal Welfare, Global Health and Development)
- Comfort with independent, remote work (we’re a 100% remote team across several continents)
- Writing skills suited to the context of an EA think tank: exceptional rigor, reasoning transparency and considerateness matter more than traditional marketing norms
- Exceptional judgment in identifying mediums of communication to use, to eliminate, or deprioritize
Ability to communicate complex topics with nuance to various audiences (especially those who may not be familiar with these fields of research)
- Fluency in English
- A sense of visual aesthetics
- Basic graphic design skills
- Experience communicating about EA research on complex topics, either in a formal role, or informally (such as in a blog)
- Good judgment in handling delicate PR situations
- Competence in dealing with media
- Web design experience
What we offer
- Salary between $69,000 and $72,000 USD annually for a full-time position, prorated for part-time work
- Contribute to a fast-growing, high-impact organization — our research is used by key decision makers who influence hundreds of millions of dollars
- Flexible work hours
- Flexible work location
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance covered 100% by Rethink Priorities for partners and families where relevant locally
- Generous family leave (six months paid at full salary, regardless of gender)
- Organization-wide mid- and end-of-year breaks, plus unlimited vacation and personal time off (several additional weeks in practice)
- A caring team that looks out for each other, is friendly, respectful, and values having a healthy work-life balance
- 10% of your time can be devoted to professional development / learning / projects you want to pursue outside your assigned tasks
- Low bureaucracy
- We don’t provide snacks but we could mail you a box of Oreos if you want
Note before applying; Please do not include a cover letter with your materials, and refrain from including any sort of photograph or headshot of yourself, and certainly don’t include any personal information that is not relevant to the role you’re applying for (including marital status, age, identity traits, or any other personal information that is not related to the position). Additionally, please do not ask staff members involved in hiring to meet — to ensure fairness, we try to minimize these interactions, and requests for meetings with hiring committee members during the process will be declined.
Rethink Priorities is committed to building an inclusive, equitable and supportive community for you to thrive and do your best work; We’re committed to finding the best talent for our team, so please don’t hesitate to apply for a role regardless of your age, gender identity, political identity, personal preferences, physical abilities, veteran status, or any other background you may identify with. If you’d like to know more about what working at Rethink Priorities is like, you’re welcome to visit our Career Opportunities site.
About Rethink Priorities
Rethink Priorities is a research organization aimed at uncovering insights to inform policymakers and major foundations about how to best set policy to help people and nonhuman animals.
Since the beginning of 2018, we’ve:
- Studied alternatives to QALYs for measuring wellbeing
- Published reviews of lead reduction policy, charter cities, and agricultural land reform
- Conducted polls, surveys, and message testing to better understand how the public thinks about animal welfare and other important topics
- Brought to light the important and neglected area of invertebrate welfare
- Investigated nuclear war as a possible existential risk, quantitatively modelled the expected harm from various nuclear war scenarios, and explored some interventions for reducing this risk
- And much much more!
- Feel free to review our published work here
We’re supported by Open Philanthropy, Effective Altruism Funds, the Survival and Flourishing Fund, and individual donors.
If you’d like to know more about our hiring process and what working at Rethink Priorities is like, please feel free to learn more about our work culture on our site.
About Rethink Priorities
Rethink Priorities is a research organization that conducts critical research to inform policymakers and major foundations about how to best help people and nonhuman animals in both the present and the long-term future.
Our research spans everything from animal welfare to the threat of nuclear war. We explore neglected but promising areas to improve the world and try to further build the community of researchers working on understanding how to do this most effectively.
We follow the principles of effective altruism, and are dedicated to using our resources to have the greatest impact on the lives of people and animals.