*This position has multiple openings and we anticipate will remain open for applications until 9am Pacific time, April 30th, 2021. Please expect an update on your application in approximately two weeks from submission.
Truss is a software consultancy known for trust, pragmatism, autonomy, and expertise. We believe strong relationships with our clients, contractors and employees is fundamental to doing great work.
Truss is tackling tough technical problems for the private sector and government. We implement and advocate modern development practices to build software and streamline infrastructure. As a Truss engineer you will facilitate bringing our values to our clients and help drive toward understanding what their end users truly need.
We are seeking empathetic, curious, and quick-learning engineers to join our team. A position with Truss will allow you to use your rich skill-set to build an energetic yet balanced environment with a team of curious, helpful people.
Here’s what we hope you’ll bring:
- Great communication! Including thoughtful listening skills, the ability to express complex ideas clearly and succinctly, and the ability to communicate well in writing.
- An adaptive, empathetic, collaborative and positive mindset.
- Excitement to experiment with new technologies and best practices.
- The ability to think holistically about software delivery and engineering issues.
- Methodical approach to solving problems and ability to express solutions to coworkers.
- Have held at least one engineering/infrastructure position post-educationInitiative with a bias for action.
- Experience leading and actively mentoring junior engineers.
- Technology-agnostic approach to solving key problems.
Truss encourages applicants from a wide range of experience to apply, including those with backgrounds in application, UI, backend and/or frontend engineering, as well as generalists. We would like you to have experience in at least 3-4 of the following:
- Thoughtful, process-oriented approach to engineering, testing and agile software development.
- Leading software delivery teams through agile ceremonies.
- Web frameworks such as React, Vue, Angular, Rails, Django, Flask, Express, etc.
- Modern web technologies such as HTML, CSS.
- Best practices such as accessibility, progressive enhancement, etc.
- Common API design patterns like REST or GraphQL.
- Common databases (MySQL, postgreSQL) and data schema design.
- Converting design wireframes or mockups into working code.
- Structuring projects/applications using technology and process to enable junior engineers to be more productive.
- Security-first software development (examples: designing identity and authorization systems).
- Designing systems for the cloud.
If you have more experience than is reflected here, that’s great! We’ll be pleased to exercise your broader/deeper skill set. We value inclusion and welcome diverse viewpoints.
In this position you will:
- Deliver timely, high quality solutions to specific engineering problems.
- Create automated tests or be willing to learn to do so.
- Mentor and cross-train with other engineers via design discussions and code reviews.
- Help architect new systems and changes to existing systems to support new functionality and broaden impact to clients.
- Work cross-functionally on project teams to form and drive technical decisions to completion.
- Evaluate and select tools to meet project needs without creating unnecessary technical debt.
- Collaborate closely across practices such as Product and Design to build solutions that keep the end-user in mind.
- Build team dynamics that empowers technical teams to set and advocate for best practices and standards.
The salary range for this role is $166,500 – $180,000.
You must be eligible to work in the US. Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
** A note from Truss: We know you’re likely experiencing a lot of disruption as our nation (and our world) responds to COVID-19 – we’re experiencing it, too. There are two things we want you to know when it comes to hiring. First, we’re financially stable. We have a variety of well-established government contracts that we expect to continue over the next few years. Also, we’re winning new work, and we have a robust rainy day fund. Second, during video interviews, you’ll likely see more of our human side. Family members, partners, kids and pets are home with some of us! We promise to be present and engaged, but we may be a little…harried. It’s OK if you are, too – we understand that everyone is experiencing extra stress right now. If you have any questions along the way, please let us know, and stay healthy and safe. **