Who We Are
Recipient of a World Changing Ideas Award and recently featured on NBC Nightly News, NBC Nightly News Kids Edition, and CNN, Empatico is a free digital platform created to foster empathy among the future generation and prepare them for an increasingly connected world in which interpersonal relationships between people of all cultures and backgrounds are vital for success. Empatico’s mission is to connect classrooms around the world to enable children to experience meaningful connections by discovering how their peers live and to recognize their shared humanity.
Empatico’s core product is a browser-based platform for primary and lower secondary school educators connecting their classrooms through the use of a matching algorithm, video, chat messaging, and file-sharing technology along with high-quality classroom activities that address social-emotional competencies. The platform is compatible with in-person, remote, and hybrid learning environments and gives teachers access to facilitator guides and professional development resources that equip them to better promote empathy and understanding among their students.
Empatico is in its fourth year of operation. We offer a fast-paced, innovative, start-up culture, with a high-energy, mission-driven work environment and the opportunity to partner with a high-performing, collaborative, passionate team working towards a better future. Empatico has entered into an exciting stage of our growth, expanding into new markets and experimenting with innovative products and services — with the ultimate goal of transforming the education space through our work.
Empatico has received generous seed funding from The KIND Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization on a mission to foster kinder and more empathetic communities by investing in programs that will have a scalable, lasting impact.
Overview of the Role
We are seeking an empathetic product designer to guide the evolution of Empatico’s products. As Senior Product Designer you will define the user experience for Empatico’s community of educators and students. Reporting to the Head of Product & Design, you will oversee the entire product design process through iteration, testing and production, and partner with product and engineering to deliver compelling experiences. You’ll also collaborate with Empatico teams responsible for developing content and building partnerships.
- Design cohesive experiences for all users in the Empatico community
- Define and manage the product design process in a fast-paced environment
- Understand user behavior through qualitative and quantitative user research, and translate user needs to insights that inform the team decision making process
- Collaborate with product and engineering to perform continuous product discovery, analyze user feedback and refine the product development process
- Translate ideas to designs of various levels of fidelity, creating wireframes, user flows, and prototypes
- Support alignment of brand and product design across all Empatico initiatives
- Evolve the existing design system to ensure consistent and scalable future product iterations
- Contribute to defining the product strategy and vision
- 4+ years of professional design experience at a product-driven company or design agency creating digital products and systems.
- Collaboratively shipped products that solve real problems for your users
- Expertise in user-centric design best practices and principles and understanding of how and when to apply the right tools for the problem
- Experience working in ambiguous problem spaces and leveraging design principles to craft compelling user experiences
- Service-minded towards our community of teachers and students; curious in understanding their unique needs, challenges and motivations
- Ability to plan and lead concurrent projects across user research, product discovery and product development
- Proficient in Figma, Sketch, or Adobe XD and familiar with modern web development tools
- Interest in designing digital experiences and games for children
What Empatico Offers
- Generous paid time off
- Excellent health, dental, and vision insurance
- Employer-paid life and disability insurance
- Retirement savings plan with organizational matching
- Flexible work environment
- Charitable matching gift plan
- A chance to be part of a mission-driven organization and team that is dedicated to changing the world for the better
At Empatico (the signature initiative of The KIND Foundation), we are committed to an inclusive workplace where diversity in all its forms is championed. The KIND Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you require special accommodation, please let us know.
If you are excited about this position but feel you may not meet all the requirements, please apply anyway. We welcome candidates with a variety of backgrounds and experiences.