Senior Director of Software Engineering, eCommerce Platform
Technology/Development Engineering Remote, United States Tempe, Arizona Minneapolis, Minnesota Dallas, Texas Charlotte, North Carolina 2023-2872
At Shutterfly, we make life’s experiences unforgettable. We believe there is extraordinary power in the self-expression. That’s why our family of brands helps customers create products and capture moments that reflect who they uniquely are.
Shutterfly is embarking on a significant re-platforming journey to transform its current Shutterfly.com platform to build a next-generation photo-based commerce platform that will modernize the customer journey for customers on both website and app, create easy to use tools to launch products and designs quickly, and rebuild the entire technology stack so it is simpler to maintain, extend and operate. This next-gen platform will be a common platform that will power both Shutterfly and Snapfish sites.
As the Sr. Director of Engineering, eCommerce Platform you will be responsible for leading end to end delivery of large, transformational, Shutterfly next-gen project from inception to launch. To succeed in this role, you will bring along a mix of customer-centric, transformational leadership experience, deep technical knowledge, platform-centric thinking, operational mindset, cross-functional collaboration and partnership skills, and solid execution skills. You will be leading a team of top engineering talent to launch the next-gen platform, migrate existing users onto the new platform, and sunset the current platform. You will partner with product and business leaders and be responsible for delivering the business objectives and key results for the new platform.
What You’ll Do Here:
- Own end-to-end engineering delivery of the new platform by partnering with product and UX leaders, and cross-functional business, product, and technology teams. You will represent technology’s voice on execution of this project in C-suite level discussions.
- Provide hands-on technical leadership to drive the execution of overall product vision through to delivery, leading teams that architect, design and build the platform, and collaborate with domain-specific engineering leaders, infrastructure, and security leaders and teams to operate a highly scalable platform in the cloud.
- Draw from your deep and broad platform-centric technical and management expertise to mentor senior principal engineers and managers, collaborate with domain-specific engineering leaders, and provide leadership on complex technical issues, design tradeoffs, and feature and schedule prioritization.
- Grow and develop top engineering talent that will shape and build a world-class photo-centric SaaS-based personalized commerce platform.
- Develop a collaborative and inclusive high-performance team that fosters a culture of ownership, experimentation, and innovation to prioritize the things that will have the biggest impact on both users and the businesses and deliver working solutions for our customers.
The Skills You’ll Bring:
- 15+ years in a leadership/management role with a solid track record of building and leading engineering teams.
- 15+ years of software engineering experience and a proven track record of successfully architecting and building highly available, scalable, and low latency systems for high traffic applications.
- Experience leading engineering delivery of at least 1 large-scale transformation project.
- Previous experience leading multiple geographically distributed teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with cross-functional stakeholders, engineers, and product managers.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to dive into system architecture, design, performance metrics, code, test plans, project plans, deployments, and operations.
- Advanced knowledge and hands-on experience with major cloud environments (such as AWS).
- Platform thinker, with strategic thinking and strong product and business orientation.
- Exceptional project management skills with ability to manage multiple concurrent projects with competing priorities.
- Experience in eCommerce, digital, or related industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer science, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or an equivalent highly technical field.
Supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce is important to Shutterfly not only because it directly reflects our value of Embracing our Differences, but also because it’s the right thing to do for our business and for our people. Learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Shutterfly DE&I.
The compensation package for this role is based on multiple factors, such as job level, responsibilities, location, and candidate experience. The base pay ranges included below are specific to the locations listed, and may not be applicable to other locations.
California : [$178,600 – 253,350]
Connecticut, New York, and Rhode Island: [$178,600 – 232,050]
Colorado and Washington: [$178,600 – 214,950]
Nevada: [$168,200 – 232,050]