Smile Train is changing the world one smile at a time. We’re always on the hunt for curious, passionate, and innovative thinkers to join our team, to help us do what we do better. If that’s you, please read on.
Smile Train is an international nonprofit headquartered in New York. Our goal is to transform the life of every person impacted by cleft lip and palate. We train and support doctors and medical professionals to provide free life-changing comprehensive cleft treatment to our beneficiaries. Our sustainable model has allowed us to reach 1.5 million children in 90+ countries to date and we’re just getting started. We are truly changing the world one smile at a time.
We are looking for a Drupal, Backend Web Developer to join our team. The Drupal, Backend Web Developer is responsible for the successful maintenance, improvement, and optimization of all Smile Train web properties. Our ideal candidate has a strong understanding of industry trends, content management systems; specifically, Drupal, and knowledge of the entire web development process, including design, development, and deployment.
As the Drupal, Backend Web Developer, you will be responsible for the server-side web application logic as well as the integration of the front-end code within our workflow. You should be comfortable reviewing and approving code changes to business-critical platforms. Ultimately, you should be able to develop and maintain functional and stable web applications to meet our company’s needs.
The Drupal, Backend Web Developer will report to the Director, Web Development and will work closely with colleagues across the organization. This is a full-time role based in New York City, starting as soon as possible. Note: this is a hybrid role (in office 2x per week), and the COVID-19 vaccine is required except for approved medical or religious exemptions.
- Administer and create Drupal Content Management System (CMS) ‘features’, modules, and security updates across all websites (national and international).
- Assist and participate in the code development flow process (branch and feature creation, pull requests, code review, QA process, production pushes, reverts, etc.)
- Work collaboratively with other team members to leverage technologies to enhance our web properties
- QA and maintain the website on an ongoing basis.
- Monitor website and server status and respond reactively and proactively to all issues that occur or could occur.
- Interact and correspond with tech consultants regarding all aspects of the digital stack (CMS, P2P, CRM, third party technologies).
- Monitor and complete internal tickets (web requests) and field other incoming requests related to the entire digital stack in a timely manner.
- Create organizational code and development flow standards. Work with the web team and outside vendors to ensure projects align with organizational standards and best practices.
- Maintain current, future, and parallel platform knowledge via research and documentation.
- Proficient in PHP
- Minimum of 3 years hands on backend development of Drupal 8+
- CLI experience (WSL1/2: Bash)
- Container experience. In particular how it relates to Drupal (Docker, Docksal)
- Drupal based WebOps, SAAS, hosting environment experience: (AWS, Pantheon, Rackspace, Acquia a plus)
- Experience with Drupal configuration management (e.g., Features, Config Splits, Drush)
- Experience with version control systems like GIT (Bitbucket Preferred)
- Understanding of MySQL or other relational database systems
- Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics knowledge a plus
- Experience with Edge computing providers (Cloudflare, Fastly) and their tools (WAF, CDN, Page Rules)
- Strong understanding of UI
- Salesforce knowledge is a plus but not required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
Smile Train is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates from all groups and communities to apply.
To apply, please complete the application through the link below. Include a copy of your resume and a cover letter that describes why you believe you would be a good fit for Smile Train and this role.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, but we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible.