Super provides access for everyone to experience more of what life has to offer, whatever their income or circumstance.
We solve real-world problems in fintech, travel, and eCommerce as we help our millions of customers spend less and save more. We have raised over $100MM to date and have driven over $1B in sales since the release of our first product (SuperTravel) in 2016. Our growth and impact are a testament to the work and dedication of our 200+ person team around the world.
We are constantly innovating, building, and iterating. We use data to help us move fast and make decisions. We have an open and transparent culture where everyone has access to information empowering them to be an owner. We are all one team and you will find everyone here is willing to help each other work towards a common goal. Check out this article from our CEO, Hussein Fazal on Super’s Core Values.
Employee well-being is a top priority. Whether it’s access to physical/mental health services, competitive compensation, unlimited vacation, or our remote-first work environment – we provide flexible benefits that reflect our employee-first culture and our commitment to a healthy work-life integration.
For highly motivated self-starters, Super accelerates your career growth and unlocks your potential through the people, work, and programs it has to offer. Come join us to make an impact in your career and in the world.
About this team
Super engineering has 5 development focus areas: shared products, fin-tech, travel, e-commerce, and infrastructure & tools. The Shared Products team focuses on building frontend and backend components and services that are used commonly across the different product focus areas and that form the glue between our multiple consumer-facing products in our Superapp. This includes our unified authentication system, rewards engine, experimentation framework, frontend design system, unified app navigation, and notifications engine. Overall, the mission of Shared Products is to provide a best-in-class full-stack platform to both facilitate rapid iteration of our consumer-facing product teams and provide a unified Superapp experience to our millions of users.
About this role
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to guide our new Shared Products full-stack engineering team. In this role you will directly oversee 5 full-time engineers, and the team has 2 engineering interns. Although this is a new team in our engineering org, it has been staffed with engineers from other existing teams so you will have a full, ramped up team from day one in the role. You will predominantly work with React on the frontend, and a combination of Python and Node microservices on the backend. Other technologies you’ll work with include Gitlab, AWS, Postgres, Redis, Datadog, Amplitude, and Snowflake. You will work closely with a Product Manager, Product Designer, and have the guidance of a Staff Software Engineer. You will report into a Director of Engineering.
- Oversee a full-stack team of 5 engineers (+2 eng interns). You will be responsible for the continued staffing of the team, including being a key contributor to hiring processes
- Propel the business and engineering org forward by leading high-impact projects end-to-end in an iterative, data-driven, startup environment
- Shape the technical roadmap for the team, contribute to product roadmap and OKR discussions, and drive the engineering agile processes for the team
- Contribute to a culture of continuous improvement and growth, ensuring team members excel with oversight and mentorship, are working on projects at the intersection of interest, experience, and business impact, and have concrete opportunities for growth
- Drive high release quality and cadence by completing code reviews, ensuring end-to-end tests are written, and sustainable yet pragmatic development practices are followed
- Strategically contribute technically – write important design docs, tackle particularly intricate components / features or services, jumping in as an individual contributor when appropriate
- Contribute to cross-team technical meetings and discussions, and opportunities to improve engineering productivity and processes
- We’re looking for highly-motivated self starters who share our excitement for growth and impact.
- The ideal candidate will be interested and able to implement and oversee a team of full-stack engineers (frontend, backend, databases) working with React, Python, and Node.
- In addition, the candidate is a strong communicator (both technical and non-technical topics), interested in continuous learning, and looking forward to working in a startup environment with an emphasis on delivering business value.
- The ideal candidate is interested in a 25:25:25:25 split between technical leadership : team management : people management : individual contributions initially, shifting to 30:30:30:10 over time.
- Finally, the ideal candidate is an empathetic people leader, is highly collaborative, is data-driven, is scrappy, and loves to ship impactful code with rapid iteration.
- 4+ years software development experience, including 1+ years of either formal management or close mentoring of junior and intermediate software developers
- Coding: Senior technical depth in at least one of Python or JS. Also, at least intermediate depth on frontend development using a modern frontend framework (ex. React/Vue/Angular)
- Strong knowledge of modern web technologies, system design & architecture, and microservices
- Been a technical lead for shipping major features / projects, and worked with multiple codebases
- Been involved in hiring & interview processes
- Experience working with Product Managers and Designers, in an agile setting
Nice to Have
- Working experience across a breadth of our infrastructure, languages and stacks (React, Python, Node, Gitlab, AWS, Docker, Postgres, Redis, Datadog, Amplitude, and Snowflake)
- Worked on a Platform team before (i.e. building common services), and worked with moderate-to-high QPS services
- Formal engineering management experience
- SQL / analytics know-how, and experienced with devops concepts
- Experience in a startup environment
- Worked closely with business stakeholders, and experience leading agile processes
We’ve got you covered
- Competitive salary packages, equity options, great benefits from day one, wellness budgets, as well as personal and team-level development budgets
- We are remote first – you have the flexibility to work from around the world and the hours that make sense for you– so that you can do your best work while living life on your own terms
- Other perks include: unlimited PTO, recharge days, travel discounts on SuperTravel, Weekly UberEats credit, annual company offsite
- We welcome new family additions with generous parental leave and a flexible return-to-work plan
- This is just scratching the surface– see our careers site for a more detailed overview of our perks & benefits
We Believe in Equal Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If needed, please notify our Talent Acquisition Partner.