About the Tax Foundation
The Tax Foundation is the nation’s leading independent tax policy nonprofit. Since 1937, our principled research, insightful analysis, and engaged experts have informed smarter tax policy at the federal, state, and global levels. For over 80 years, our goal has remained the same: to improve lives through tax policies that lead to greater economic growth and opportunity. We use our research and analysis to bring tax changes to the national spotlight, foster competition among the states, and advise policymakers on how to improve their tax systems.
About the Role
The Tax Foundation is seeking a hard-working, detail-oriented individual to serve as its Operations and HR Administrator. We need someone who loves to dive into the details to understand, sort through, and improve overall business operations matters. The person in this role must be a self-starter who has an interest in establishing a career path in the free market nonprofit space, believes strongly in the Tax Foundation mission, and has the drive, attention to detail, and skillset to help keep the organization and its executive leadership running efficiently.
This is a full-time position based in Washington, D.C. We are currently operating on a weekly hybrid schedule of three days in the office and two days remote.
• Serve as primary liaison to Tax Foundation vendors, including all operations-related resources such as IT, HR, finance & accounting, property management, and legal services
• Actively engage with and manage all vendors and recommend improvement/changes as necessary
• Oversee office administration, including office space, building maintenance coordination, and supplies and inventory
• Act as primary contact for day-to-day HR matters and serve as a conduit between Tax Foundation staff and external HR provider; responsibilities include coordination of recruitment, hiring, onboarding/offboarding, benefits administration, and payroll
• Support accounting and finance tasks in coordination with external accounting provider; responsibilities include credit card reconciliation, accounts receivable support, and bill.com oversight
• Manage all vendor and subscription accounts, including standardizing payment methods and contact profiles
• Coordinate organization-wide activities, including internal meetings and special events
• Support the President & CEO and Executive Team in scheduling and travel logistics
• Develop a strong, operational partnership with the President and Executive Team
• Handle other office and operations functions as assigned or needed
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience
• 3+ years of experience in a prior office management/coordination role
• 1+ year experience handling general HR responsibilities
• Familiarity with finance and accounting processes and principles is preferred
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to independently prioritize projects and deadlines
• Excellent communication skills and ability to build strong relationships and interact with people at all levels of the business
• Collaborative mindset and approach
• A positive and service-oriented attitude
Why Work at the Tax Foundation?
At the Tax Foundation, you can educate the public, elevate public discourse, and improve public policy, all while having fun! In addition, Tax Foundation offers a competitive salary based on qualifications and experience. Benefits include HSA-based health coverage with employer contributions, a 401(k) retirement plan with a 100 percent match on the first 5 percent, and we cover 100 percent of the premiums for dental and vision coverage and life/AD&D/LTD insurance. We offer 12 paid holidays and 15 vacation days per year and generous sick leave, plus our office is closed the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. We also offer casual and early-release Fridays as well as a work-from-home option on Mondays and Fridays for employees in the D.C. area.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered. The position is open until filled. The Tax Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V
About Tax Foundation
The Tax Foundation is the nation’s leading independent tax policy 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Since 1937, our principled research, insightful analysis, and engaged experts have informed smarter tax policy at the federal, state, and global levels. For over 80 years, our goal has remained the same: to improve lives through tax policies that lead to greater economic growth and opportunity.