We are building a new group that will change the way manufacturing is performed in one of Amazon’s market segments. This will be an industry shaping group that will lead significant cost and cycle time reduction. We are looking for an experienced engineer to architect and develop automation solutions for a manufacturing assembly environment. The candidate will develop, integrate, and deploy both commercially available and internally developed automation systems. These systems will be designed to interact with other automation, such as robotics, and people that help facilitate material placement and handling. The engineer will leverage external manufacturing partners and system integrators for detail design, build and integration to specification on a specific assembly application.
Engineer’s responsibility include:
· Identify requirements and milestones for leading development of automation systems.
· Benchmark performance of third party and internally derived automation systems against specifications and choose pragmatic solutions with long development tails and predictable timelines to implement on future efforts.
· Create guidelines for and collaborate with engineering and operations teams to set the bar for design for automation for assembly material handling processes. Define scope of work and description of operation.
· Work with highly-motivated and experienced mechanical, electrical, and robotics engineers to focus internal and external resources to maximize system overall equipment effectiveness measure (OEE), test solution performance, and minimize factory floor footprint through use of properly applied automation solutions.
· Create project specifications for systems integrators. Manage budget, schedule, and scope of design. Participate in simulation/emulation as needed. Design and implement automation systems in operational environments.
· Participate in strategic and tactical planning sessions to provide leadership guidance on automation strategy and opportunities.
· Work with the Financial Analyst to evaluate automation systems through cost analysis and capital expenditure requests to justify automation projects.
· In conjunction with analyst and team leads, develop metrics for systems, targeting increased optimization of deployed automation.
· Prepare detailed requirements specifications for equipment and processes. This includes technical manuals in support of system debug and maintenance, training documentation, preventative maintenance plans and troubleshooting guides for newly established automation systems.
· Ensure automation equipment and processes are compliant with domestic and overseas regulatory agencies. Work with Safety Engineering from design phase through deployment to assure compliance.
· Be the technical expert in resolving technical issues related to deployed automation.
· Educate members of technology deployment and plant floor operation on automation system architecture, usability, and functionality.
· Travel to OEM, supplier integrator and manufacturing facilities to install automation systems.
Basic Qualifications· A Bachelor’s or Master’s in electrical or mechanical engineering or a related technical field
· 5+ Years of hands-on automated engineering experience in a Manufacturing Environment
· Experience in creating technical specifications for automation systems.
· Experience in deploying automation technology, especially robotics for manufacturing assembly environments.
· Experience with mechanical-electrical/mechatronic systems, motion control, PLC programming, Robotics programing, Vision systems and various electro-mechanical devices such as: servo motors, sensing devices, scanning devices and conveyors.
Preferred Qualifications· Advanced Understanding of PLC Programming, HMI, and vision systems.
· Knowledgeable about lean manufacturing quality metrics such as yield, cycle time, Takt and OEE.
· Certified Six Sigma.
· Project management experience, PMP or other certification.
· Certified Automation engineer.
· Proficiency with Product Lifecycle Management PLM software and ECO’s MS in Mechanical Engineering
· Experience with DFMA software
· Proficiency with SolidWorks Simulation or Ansys Finite Element Analysis tools
· Able to work under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines.
· Able to execute tasks in a very dynamic and ever-changing environment.
· Ability to effectively deal with high levels of uncertainty, ambiguity, and change.
· Communicate effectively with diverse customers and audiences across multiple disciplines.
· Proven record in negotiating timelines, priorities, resource sharing with cross functional teams.
· Ability to onboard vendors/suppliers for aggressive timelines and competitive pricing for projects.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
· Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation