At Amazon, we believe that every day is still day one. A day to take a first step. A day to look forwards to new challenges. It is your day to be part of something great. A day to make your ideas come to life. And your day to join a company that redefines itself every day. That is the energy and passion behind Amazon.
At Amazon, we’re working to be the most customer-centric company on earth. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright and driven people. Amazon is one of the most recognizable brand names in the world and we distribute millions of products each year to our loyal customers. You will join a leadership team with responsibilities that require creativity, technical expertise and business sense. If you thrive in a dynamic environment with demanding business partners and enjoy find solutions to meaningful design challenges at scale this position is for you.
We are looking to build a brand new team to support Short Term Disability Appeals in an effort to expand Human Resources Professional Services in alignment with Amazon’s growth. The Appeals team will offer an opportunity for our internal customers to have a first and second level of review of ERISA governed claim decisions. The Disability and Leave Services (DLS) team will be driving to redesign the processes and tools for internal Short Term Disability appeals, providing an innovative, compliant and frustration-free experience to our employees.
This leadership position has complete end-to-end accountability for delivery of high quality Appeal outcomes. The Disability Appeals Manager will perform targeted recruiting of 4-5 Appeals specialists. The inaugural Appeal team will grow alongside the growth of the DLS program and the Amazon population. The role holder is expected to build a scalable strategy to compliantly manage first and second level ERISA appeals however; the ideal candidate will be expected to dive deep and challenge the status quo proactively looking for opportunities to drive service quality and efficiencies through effective change and transformation.
The role holder will also assume the role of the collaborator with our Global Clinical Manager, Operations Leaders, Program Management and ancillary vendors. The successful candidate will have proven experience and deep subject matter expertise in HR consulting, ERISA Appeals, Short-Term Disability Case Management, compliance, project management and driving process improvements. Ability to travel as appropriate up to 35% including foreign travel.
Basic Qualifications· 5+ or more years of disability and absence management experience within the context of a HR department, third party administrator or insurance carrier
· 5+ years of demonstrated leadership excellence of professional exempt and or virtual employees
· Bachelor’s degree, Human Resources or related field
Preferred Qualifications· Lean Six Sigma Certificate
· Master’s degree. Extensive relevant disability industry experience (8+ years)
· Deep knowledge of HR process and systems
· Direct experience managing central functions in a multi-national company
· Proven organizational leadership ability in a diverse and global setting with a solid track record of increasingly responsible assignments across multiple functional areas
· Exposure to HR process and practice in a PeopleSoft/workday environment
· Proven ability to analyze data, evaluate systems and procedures and develop improvements
· Knowledge of employee policies and procedures.
· Ability to manage multiple projects at one time
· Self-starter attitude and ability to work with ambiguity
· Effective problem-solving and conflict resolution
· Polished and well developed oral and written communication skills
· Ability to maintain confidentiality and adhere to the highest degree of professional standards
· Understanding the regulations governing FMLA, HIPAA, ADAA, ACA, state disability and leave laws and regulations and ERISA as it relates to absence programs
· Strong ability to source and analyze data to drive business strategies and decisions
· Adept at interpretation and administration of leave and disability programs and policies in accordance with applicable federal and state laws
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.