Our team is seeking an Environmental Engineer who will support the Amazon Logistics (AMZL) operations on a regional level.
This role is responsible for providing technical support, tactical execution and delivering a strategy for future expansion in an ambiguous, fast-paced environment across multiple facilities within a defined a region of North America.
This role will be based at an operations or office location locally and will report in through the Amazon Worldwide Environmental Affairs team which is part of the Amazon Sustainability organization.
The Regional Environmental Engineer will also partner with the GSF & Retail operations leadership team to execute company environmental procedures and ensure compliance with all applicable specific Federal, State and Local regulations. Utilizing risk assessments and compliance evaluations, this individual will lead continuous improvement initiatives to minimize environmental aspects and impacts and communicate and implement best practices.
Regional Environmental Engineer Responsibilities:
· Manage and execute multi-site responsibilities to comply with air emissions, stormwater, waste, wastewater and other environmental related laws, regulations and permits, which includes required Federal, State and local reporting such as USEPA EPCRA/SARA Form R and Tier II, state mandated permit reporting and other required reporting as needed
· Manage and execute business conformance with Amazon Environmental policies through effective execution of Amazon Operational Environmental Procedures
· Monitor and provide guidance on site performance against applicable environmental regulations, programs and Amazon global policies
· Ensure site leadership and Associates are trained and knowledgeable of their responsibilities under each policy. Audit the quality, delivery (including qualifications of the trainer), and effectiveness of all required environmental training
· Provide strategic environmental support and regulatory review for future business growth and expansion
· Partner with operations, special projects and support teams in supporting the change management process
· Analyze environmental metrics and review weekly and monthly trends to determine where improvements are needed
· Measure and analyze sites’ performance against published requirements in environmental policies
· For all deficiencies, identify a plan for the site to implement and fix all identified deficiencies
· Insist on the highest standards to ensure protection of business risks
· Oversee work performed by relevant contractors and consultants
· Build collaborative relationships with various stakeholders to ensure risks are identified early and managed in a timely manner
· Conduct risk assessments and audits as necessary
· Establish project milestones for plan development and permitting at new launch locations or site expansions
· Assist sites with record keeping and periodic reviews to ensure record retention requirements are met
· Ensure compliance calendar regulatory requirements and Amazon program tasks are current.
· Ensure equipment that requires environmental PMs is appropriately logged and tracked
· Develop relevant environmental procedures as dictated by business and regulatory needs. Train and monitor to ensure proper execution
· Assist sites with action plan development for any deficiencies noted from trends, audits and inspections
· Evaluate and develop process improvements for identified risks.
· Facilitate root cause analyses for all environmental incidents and recommend appropriate corrective actions for network implementation
· Identify and implement corrective actions to eliminate any observed non-compliance or potential non-compliance situations
Basic Qualifications– Bachelor’s Degree in civil, chemical or environmental engineering or environmental related field of study
– 3+ years of experience serving as an environmental technical resource, program specialist, or program manager
– Experience using written and verbal communication skills, including interfacing with site and regional leaders
– Experience deep diving with engineering teams to understand operations process for environmental risk assessment
– Experience using knowledge of US state and federal environmental regulations
– Experience in engaging with Regulatory Agency in permit application
– Experience managing change in multiple site environments and the ability to influence peers and superiors
– Willing to travel up to 50%
Preferred Qualifications– Broad knowledge of North America environmental regulations
– Experience in logistics is preferred
– Experience demonstrating a high level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others and achieve results
– Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability
– Ability to develop and implement department goals and strategies
– Ability to adapt well to fast-paced environments with changing circumstances, direction, and strategy
– Proficient in Microsoft Office. In Excel, have the ability to use pivot tables, and develop charts and graphics
– Ability to manage multiple sites/remotely
The Regional Environmental Engineer must be an effective communicator and send clear, concise and consistent messages, both verbally and in writing. The Regional Environmental Engineer must possess proficiency in program and environmental regulatory knowledge and demonstrate this expertise when working with teams throughout the operations.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.